Author Topic: B&W Bakery Crumbcake  (Read 26852 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
B&W Bakery Crumbcake
« on: October 05, 2007, 04:46:17 PM »
From Roadfood.com     

Have you had New Jersey-style crumb cake? If you're not from the Northeast it's likely you haven't, but once you do you may find that the standard issue crumb cake you've always enjoyed just doesn't do it for you anymore. What makes the Jersey edition unique is how the crumb cake concept is turned on its head. It's all about the crumbs. Oh, there's cake, but the half-inch of pastry supports four times its height in sweet crumbs!

Many northern New Jerseyans look to the B & W Bakery to satisfy their crumb cake cravings. While some Jersey cakes use a pound cake-like base, B & W's "heavy crumb cake" (their words) is built upon a lightly sweet yeasted pastry, like a Danish. The waist-deep pile of large crumbs, some crunchy and others soft, that sits atop the cake are not cloyingly sweet, though plenty sweet enough. This is a crumb cake that just cries out for a pot of coffee and a lazy morning.

Crumb cake is not all. Doughnuts are modest in variety but not in quality. The old-fashioned cruller is actually a plain doughnut, not what we think of as a cruller. The faintly crisp shell contains barely sweet pastry with a gentle flavor that never pales, and has none of the astringency of poorly-made chain doughnuts. The Boston cream is a tour de force yeasted doughnut filled with cool pastry cream and blanketed with dark, thick chocolate, while the iced crullers are true crullers, like sweetened eggy popovers twisted into a circle, topped with sweet chocolate or vanilla icing.

B & W is usually busy any time of day, but service is quick, and the women who work the counter are patient and friendly. Show any indecision and other customers are sure to cheerfully chime in with their recommendations. While crumb cake is the star attraction, many folks swear by the variety of Danish and pecan rings. And there's a tray of what looks like sticky buns that keeps whispering our names. We've not yet answered their call, but suspect that resistance is futile.

- Bruce Bilmes & Sue Boyle

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: B&W Bakery Crumbcake
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 07:21:13 AM »
Yes, people do come from all over North Jersey to visit there.

Now you've gone through such extensive detail to describe the store, but you never said how long they've been in business, or what B & W really stands for.  I believe that it is the last names of the founders, both of which were of German background.  It's gone through several ownerships, and they've kept the tradition of focussing on German pastries, whether they are German or not (I think they are).

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 10:53:49 AM »
Yes, people do come from all over North Jersey to visit there.

Now you've gone through such extensive detail to describe the store, but you never said how long they've been in business, or what B & W really stands for.  I believe that it is the last names of the founders, both of which were of German background.  It's gone through several ownerships, and they've kept the tradition of focussing on German pastries, whether they are German or not (I think they are).

Boehringer & Weimer - in business for 56 years (or so says an online article - it seems longer though)

In the 50s, our family went there every Sunday morning after mass at Holy Trinity to buy our Sunday buns-and pastries breakfast.

My sister in Colorado makes a beeline for B&W whenever she visits to load up on crumb cake.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: B&W Bakery Video
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 11:21:33 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/GeO_zyOvuwg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/GeO_zyOvuwg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Offline irons35

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:30:52 PM »
I grew up on it, but it has changed.  I still have it at least once a week.    I saw an article in the record a few months ago about a former owner/worker going to Allwood Bakery in Clifton and taking the recipe with him.  I took a drive a couple of weeks ago, and I gotta tell ya, it is far superior to what B&W is making now.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: B&W Bakery Crumb cake
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:13:39 AM »
I was there buying a birthday cake last week and there was a crowd waiting for the warm crumb cake which disappeared in seconds.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: B&W Bakery
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
Terry Flynn, former co-owner of landmark Hackensack bakery, dies at 55
Tuesday, August 16, 2011
BY JAY LEVIN
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Terry Flynn was born in Chicago, grew up in Oregon and spent a good part of his life in Arizona. But for six of his 55 years, he was behind the counter of a landmark Hackensack bakery famous for its heavy crumb cake and jelly doughnuts.

The former co-owner of B&W Bakery died Aug. 2 in Mesa, Ariz., following a brief illness.

A sister, Elizabeth Flynn-Connors of Sleepy Hollow, N.Y., said it was nice having Terry living in New Jersey because he brought wonderful desserts on Thanksgiving.

Son of a Chicago cop who moved his family out to Eugene, Ore., Mr. Flynn got his first bakery job when he was a teenager. He washed pots and pans.

He stayed in the business and worked his way up to director of bakery operations for a supermarket chain in the Phoenix area.

North Jersey native Ron Kraft worked with Mr. Flynn at the Safeway and Smitty's grocery chains in Arizona. Kraft returned to North Jersey in the late 1990s and he and his then-wife became partners in B&W, where Kraft had worked many years earlier.

In 2000, they took on Mr. Flynn as a partner. It was, Mr. Flynn's sister said, fulfillment of her brother's entrepreneurial dream.

Mr. Flynn was involved more with management than with actual production, but pressed himself into kitchen service during the busy holiday seasons, Kraft said.

He added that his friend and colleague was hardworking and fun-loving and upheld the traditions of B&W, a fixture on Main Street in Hackensack since 1948.

Mr. Flynn and his partners sold the bakery in 2006. Mr. Flynn, a River Edge resident during his time in New Jersey, returned to Arizona.

He is survived by his three children, all in the Phoenix area, four siblings and seven grandchildren. The memorial service will be held Aug. 28 at Mariposa Gardens Cemetery Chapel in Mesa.

E-mail: levin@northjersey.com
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:02:06 PM by Editor »

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • Weap Integration in planniNG (Weaping)
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 01:52:21 PM »
Eeee gads... I am on the way there now... The 1st ward block watch asscoiation meets tonight.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
YouTube Description: This recipe is pretty close to the famous crumbcake from the Boehringer & Weimer Bakery in Hackensack, NJ. The original B&W Crumb Cake is famous for its amazingly thick, crumbly, crunchy topping - isn't that the best part of a crumb cake anyway?!

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline johnny g

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2021, 06:51:05 AM »
Got one yesterday for my mother in law's birthday...Was better than it's been lately, I wonder if the Fallon thing made them step it up a little bit?  :o