• View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Gangs
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2008, 11:05:50 AM »
Eight arrested in gangs crackdown in New Jersey
The Record (Hackensack N.J.)
Source: http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/265171
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 11.01.2008

HACKENSACK, N.J. — Authorities have arrested eight members of two notorious street gangs operating in the New Jersey towns of Englewood, Hackensack and Bergenfield, prosecutors said Friday.

The operation is part of a statewide initiative to disrupt gang activity and remove gang members from streets before they are involved in violent crimes, Bergen County Prosecutor John L. Molinelli said at a press conference in Hackensack.
"How do we get them off the streets before they shoot someone?" asked Jose Cordero, statewide director of gangs, guns and violent crime control with the state Attorney General's Office.

The operation led to the arrest of all five members in the Englewood sub-chapter of the nationwide "Grape Street Crips," including its two top local leaders: Shawn Smith, of Kaplan Avenue in Hackensack, and Brandon Randolph, of Grand Avenue in Englewood, authorities said.

Both Smith and Randolph are charged with drug distribution, sale of a handgun and criminal weapons possession.
Also arrested were Julio Joseph, Jeremy Nunnally and Christian Griffin, all of Englewood. All three are charged with distribution and possession of cocaine. Griffin faces additional charges of selling and illegally possessing a handgun.

Molinelli said two members of the Bloods street gang Lee A. Donawa and Quincy Goldman of Bergenfield were arrested as part of the operation. Donawa is charged with illegal sale of a handgun, while Goldman is charged with distribution of marijuana. Also arrested was Keon Wiggins of Hackensack, a suspected Bloods member, Molinelli said. He is charged with distribution and possession of cocaine.
All eight defendants were arrested at different times since September, after a months-long undercover investigation, Molinelli said.

Authorities have also seized seven handguns and are investigating if any of those guns were used in shootings in Englewood, Molinelli said.

"The message we are trying to convey is that, if you are a gang member, sooner or later, we are going to arrest you," Molinelli said.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
Anti-gang movie is filmed downtown
Friday, July 17, 2009
BY MARK J. BONAMO
Hackensack Chronicle
MANAGING EDITOR

Hackensack native Jamie Bland witnessed too much growing up.

"I saw, heard and was involved in a lot of stuff," said Bland, describing tales of crime, drugs and gang violence. "So I had to put a lot of stuff on paper."

The Paterson resident returned to her hometown to put these experiences on film. As part of the Paterson-based community group Jump Start Productions, Bland brought a touch of Hollywood to Hackensack this month by filming at the Café Arabica on Main Street. The film, "Think Twice, Little Gangsta," stars rapper, actor and East Orange native Treach of the famous rap group Naughty by Nature. Co-director Bland wants the world to know that crime doesn't pay, and that gang involvement can lead to a debt of death.

Street scenes on screen

While shooting the film in locations as far-flung as Los Angeles and as nearby as Paterson, Bland came all the way home in the hope of showing what the effect of gang activity, including the use and sale of drugs, can have on young lives.

"Back in the day, there seemed to be more unity, but now everything seems like it's falling apart," she said. "Treach figured that he would show that if people glamorize drug dealing and get involved with street life, it's all going to fall apart. In other words, don't do it."

A key plot element in the film involves a community anti-violence rally gone wrong. Shots ring out, and an innocent child dies. Although such a movie moment should be clear enough, Bland definitely does not want to be guilty of being unclear about the movie's meaning for her.

"I changed my life because it could have been me going down," she said. "I decided to give back to the community."

Community joins cinematic effort

Inside the Café Arabica, an assembly of actors and filmmakers were giving their all to the production. Brownita "Sissy" Sharif, a Hackensack resident who allowed filming in her home, is a member of the state commission on school bullying. She saw her participation in making the film as part of that effort.

"A lot of what you see in the film begins with being bullied in school or on the streets," she said. "I've lived here all my life, and I'd like to see change for at-risk kids and for youth that are growing up and going in the wrong direction."

Direction in life was also a key concept for Hyson "Vegas" Vaughan and Gary Purdie, who are both mentors in Jump Start's community youth arts program.

"You've got some good and some bad kids that need direction and focus," said Purdie, 42, who also plays the role of Treach's brother in the film. "There were drugs, guns and violence in the community that I grew up in, and there was no other outlet for children. When I found out that Jamie was doing this movie, I thought that it was an excellent opportunity to help make a change. This movie isn't going to degrade us. It's going to help motivate and uplift the future leaders of tomorrow."

One of those leaders is Zakiyyah Jones, a Jump Start program veteran who has a small role in the film.

"I hope to enlighten other young women to be educated and know that they are worth more than what they look like," said Jones, 27. "Education is the key to getting out of the 'hood."

Capturing the message

During a break from filming, co-director Mike Dixon explained what kind of look he was trying to give the film.

"I'm looking to do something very in-you-face, very gritty," said Dixon, 29. "This movie is like 'Boyz n the Hood' meets 'The Sopranos.' It shows how gangs and drugs affect your family at the core. It's very guerilla-style filmmaking with a lot of things moving very quickly, very fast."

At the same time, Adel Hablawi, co-owner of the Café Arabica, spoke about why he slowed down his business to accommodate the filmmakers.

"I think that this movie will have a positive impact," said Hablawi, 42. "We're looking forward to having more filming in Hackensack."

Bland is looking forward to the release of the film, which is scheduled for next month. But she is really looking forward to something more permanent than flickering images on a movie screen.

"I lost two nephews to gun violence here on Central Avenue in Hackensack in 2000," she said. "If we don't reach people when they are young, there really won't be any turning around for them. We need this movie in our community, and we've needed it for a long time. We have to make a positive impact."

Bland is looking forward to the release of the film, which is scheduled for next month. But she is really looking forward to something more permanent than flickering images on a movie screen.

"I lost two nephews to gun violence here on Central Avenue in Hackensack in 2000," she said. "If we don't reach people when they are young, there really won't be any turning around for them. We need this movie in our community, and we've needed it for a long time. We have to make a positive impact."

E-mail: bonamo@northjersey.com

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 09:10:38 AM »
State police survey shows gang activity in all N.J. counties
Friday, January 28, 2011
Last updated: Saturday January 29, 2011, 3:14 PM
BY GIOVANNA FABIANO AND MICHELLE LEE
The Record
STAFF WRITERS

Street gangs are still a widespread problem across the state, including North Jersey, where the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings maintain a strong presence, according to a state police survey released Friday.

In its fourth survey since 2001, the state police identified 244 distinct gangs and 1,575 gang sets operating throughout New Jersey. The gangs were found in 45 percent of the state’s municipalities and in all 21 counties, according to the 118-page report.

Bergen County was among nine counties reported to have a greater-than-average gang presence — each with more than 90 gangs. Passaic County was found to have 52 gangs.

Read the report: New Jersey State Police gang survey (PDF)

In Bergen County, which had a total of 108 gangs, Englewood was found to have the largest number of gang members, at 435, followed by Elmwood Park with 170, Bergenfield with 160, Garfield with 157 and Teaneck with 102.

The state police conducted an online survey of nearly all 566 municipalities, with only Elizabeth declining to participate, but some local law enforcement officials questioned the accuracy of the results.

For example, Hackensack, where the Bergen County Gang Task Force has made numerous gang-related arrests over the last few years, is found in the survey to have only 20 gang members.

Elmwood Park Police Chief Donald Ingrasselino said it was nearly impossible to identify the number of gang members in the borough via an online survey.

“I’m skeptical of the numbers, because it doesn’t really make sense to me that we have 170 and Hackensack has 20, but either way, the results don’t surprise us,” Ingrasselino said.

“We recognize the gang problem and we’re trying, along with the school district, to be proactive, but it’s hard without a school resource officer,” he said.

Ingrasselino said having a police officer in the schools was a big help, but in September, the Board of Education cut off funding for the school resource officer.

State police officials said the survey should be used by local law enforcement agencies as a guide to the gang presence in their respective communities.

In Englewood, Chief Arthur O’Keefe said the department relies on Detective Marc McDonald, the school resource officer, to be its eyes and ears among city children.

While the state police’s survey reported that Englewood’s biggest gang problems were the Bloods and the Crips, with the latter most actively recruiting in the city, O’Keefe said there is also a strong Latin Kings presence.

“We’re seeing two problems: Major gangs are recruiting at a much younger age than before,” O’Keefe said. “So now, we’re seeing 12- and 13-year-olds and, sometimes, elementary school students getting initiated.”

The second problem is a significant population of illegal immigrants in Englewood, which typically remains isolated from the police.

“The undocumented community is a fertile environment for gangs, and they are usually closed off, so we are trying to make inroads there.”

Law enforcement officials typically look for gang initiation signs and colors in clothing, jewelry and graffiti. O’Keefe said McDonald and several other officers work with the Bergen County Gang Task Force, often checking social networking sites for any clues to gang activity, particularly among youths.

A few years ago, officers came across a Facebook photo of a 9-year-old boy dressed in gang colors and posing with his father's handgun, O'Keefe said.

Last summer, a string of strong-arm robberies in the city was tied to gang members, he said.

In Passaic County, 52 gangs were reported in 11 out of 16 municipalities, according to the survey. Most communities reported having three or fewer gangs.

Paterson had the largest gang presence in the survey; it reported 23 gangs with an estimated membership of 1,940. Passaic reported 14 gangs with an estimated membership of 100. Wayne reported one gang with an estimated membership of 100, but the survey noted that all of the gang members were transients who were not always in the town at the same time.

"This report shows that Passaic County is not unique to the rest of the State,” Passaic County Sheriff Richard Berdnik said in a released statement. “It confirms many of the facts law enforcement already knows about gang activity and how it relates to the overall crime rate."

Passaic Detective Andy White said in an e-mail that he is reviewing the survey, will discuss it with the police chief and will not be able to comment until Monday. Paterson Police Chief James Wittig did not return a phone call and e-mail sent late Friday afternoon.

Bloomingdale reported three gangs with an estimated 27 members.

Bloomingdale Police Chief Joseph Borell said the main problem in the borough is graffiti on buildings. The police have also come across Hispanic gang members while making arrests for other matters.

In 2008, Bloomingdale and Butler officers and immigration officials arrested about 30 alleged gang members and associates following a two-month community investigation. The alleged gang members were part of the Sureño 13 and the Mexican Latin Kings and they were cited for immigration violations.

In some cases, the survey mentioned a decrease in large gangs from 2007 to 2010.

In Passaic, the estimated number of Bloods dropped from more than 200 members to about 100 members. In Clifton, members of the Vatos Locos dropped from about 151 to 200 members to none. Clifton Detective Capt. Robert Rowan said “gangs do come and go in numbers and strength and popularity. It’s a fluctuating environment.”

Col. Rick Fuentes, Superintendent of the New Jersey State Police, said the survey is “requisite information” for any police agency forming an anti-gang strategy.”

The report recommended, among other things, that police agencies have more opportunities for advanced gang training.

E-mail: fabiano@northjersey.com and leem@northjersey.com
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:32:03 AM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 02:35:19 AM »

Yes, I think Hackensack has more than 20 gang members.  However, we have a much stronger community of FAITH in all of older neighborhoods than in any part of Elmwood Park. There are churches everywhere.  That is a factor that the Elmwood Park Police Chief did not take into consideration with his statement doubting that Elmwood Park has so many more gang members than Hackensack.  Plus half of the people in Elmwood Park moved there from Paterson in the last 20 years (and most of the rest in the last 50 years), so absolutely I can believe that Elmwood Park is big-time gang territory.

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 05:19:31 PM »
I wonder if the 21 people arrested in the "Hack en Sack em" sting were counted in this number?  Not even sure those people were in gangs.