Author Topic: Euclid Avenue History  (Read 10432 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Euclid Avenue History
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:44:04 PM »
From ebay:

THIS IS AN 1894 AUCTION BROADSIDE FOR THE SALE AT PUBLIC AUCTION OF THE PROPERTY OF CLEMENT MOORE, BEING LOTS ON EUCLID AVENUE IN HACKENSACK.

Thanks to Bob Leafe.

There is reference to another Clement Moore (perhaps a relative) in a 1916 New York Times article about a flower show.  See clip below.

Also, there is a mention of Clement Moore in a 1896 New York Times wedding notice.  See last clip below.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:20:25 PM by Editor »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Euclid Avenue History
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »
I was told almost 20 years ago that there was one house on the property bounded by Summit Ave, Euclid North, and Euclid South, and that the author, Clement Moore, lived in that house.  I cannot verify the accuracy of this claim.  However, these maps seem to indicate that he owned land on both sides of the street all the way down.  The Clement Moore house was allegedly torn down to build 3 houses sometime around the 1900-1910 time period, or not soon after.  The Moore house was reportedly small, and not of any spectacular architecture.

I've also been told that 286 Euclid Ave is an "original farmhouse" that owned an entire square block, or at least the entire north side of Euclid between Summit And Prospect.  The "original barn" that was part of this same farm was converted into a single-family house.  It torn down 8 or 10 years ago, and a brand new house erected on the lot.  That house is a few doors to the east of 286 Euclid, not sure the address. It has partial brick on the front facade.

Whether or not this information conflicts with the Clement Moore information, or post-dates it, I cannot determine.

Summit Ave north of Passaic Street used to be called Prospect Ave.  At one time period, Summit Ave did not continue south of Passaic Street, and Prospect Ave did not continue north of Passaic Street.  This might be around the 1840-1890, the exact dates uncertain.  Prior to 1840, not sure if anystreet existed at all. Soon after 1890, Summit Ave and Prospect Ave were both extended, and the names seperated and established into the current configuration.  A great many luxurious houses were constructed on Prospect Ave from Central to Anderson, and on Summit Ave from Central to Fairmount Ave, all in the time period 1890 - 1920. 

In some instances north of Passaic Street, these luxury houses on Summit Avenue replaced vacant land, including pastures and woodlands, but in other instances there were pre-existing houses that were torn down.  Most of these houses were much smaller and closer to the street, and on large properties. It is uncertain if any of these houses were associated with the pre-estate community which is known to have existed on Prospect Ave in the vicinity of Berry Street.  This is part of Hackensack's UNRECORDED history because it is a matter that some people don't want to acknowledge. There is a great deal more history associated with the entire length of the old Prospect Ave, and it should be researched further and made public.

Offline planet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
I can tell you that Clement Moore of Hackensack was not the author of the Night Before Christmas. Clement Clarke predated Clement by nearly 100 years, having been born in 1779, while Clement was born approx. 1863 to Robert Moore, founder of the NY Cotton Exchange. Clement was also a founding member of the American Orchid society.
Just a bit of information from a lurker and part time geneaologist!
Janet Moore (great grand-niece, by marriage, to Clement)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 10:45:39 PM »
Hi Planet.

Can you tell us anything more about your great-grand uncle's life in Hackensack, what properties he owned and where he lived? Did he live on Euclid Avenue?

Thank you so much for the information. 

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
1894 Euclid Ave Lot Auction PC
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 12:54:17 AM »
http://xrl.us/EuclidLotsAuc

Seller's description:

GREAT ADVERTISING ON 1c POSTAL STATIONERY CARD, POSTMARKED HACKENSACK NJ 5/10/1894, "GRAND AUCTION SALE, EUCLID AVE LOTS, W.E. TAYLOR, AUCTIONEER."

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 09:09:33 AM »
Pictures of Euclid, probably #36 (1915).  It is part of a photo album recently donated to the Bergen County Historical Society and reproduced here with permission. We may have some more to post.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 07:44:57 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

anything