Author Topic: White Manna  (Read 19690 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
White Manna
« on: January 12, 2008, 12:24:56 PM »
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:07:46 AM by Editor »

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
White Manna on TV Tonight and Sunday
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 11:47:54 AM »
Tonight's edition of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" (The Food Network) focuses on New Jersey diners, including Hackensack's White Manna Hamburgers and Clifton's Tick Tock Diner.

It airs at 10pm, again at 1am, and a third showing will be next Sunday at 11:30pm - right after the Giants win the Super Bowl.

There's a small article about it in today's The Record on page F-2.

For Cablevision subscribers, The Food Network is on channel 29.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: White Manna in Hackensack to Appear on Food Network
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2008, 11:56:25 AM »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
Re: White Manna in Hackensack to Appear on Food Network
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 03:12:19 PM »
 I passed by on Sunday around 1:30 PM. The place was packed and about 15 people waiting to get in.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: White Manna
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 08:09:22 AM »

White Manna and White Mana are the names of two fast food diners in the U.S. state of New Jersey. They were originally opened by Louis Bridges, who purchased the original diner that was introduced in the 1939 New York World’s Fair in Flushing Meadows Park, Queens. Both buildings were manufactured by Paramount Diners of Oakland, New Jersey in the late-1930s. Bridges owned five diners, all named “White Manna”.
Contents

White Mana, Jersey City

The White Mana, located in Jersey City as a historical landmark and was the 1939 World’s Fair building, including the first Mana to open. When originally introduced, it was called the “diner of the future” and an “Introduction to Fast Food.” According to the present owner, Mario Costa, Jr., the reason for the difference in spelling was a result of an error when the sign was serviced. It is famous for its hamburgers and sells approximately 3,000 a week.

Costa, who had worked at the diner through high school and college, bought the diner for $80,000 in 1979 from Bridges’ brother Webster. In 1996, Costa decided to sell the diner and lot for $500,000, but soon regretted the deal when he discovered that the new owners intended to replace it with a doughnut franchise. Costa attempted to back out of the deal, but the buyers refused to void the transaction. He filed a lawsuit to stop the sale, but lost. Eventually, the buyers agreed to sell it back to him at a higher cost than their purchase price.

In 1997, the Jersey City Historic Preservation Committee declared the diner a local landmark .

White Manna of Hackensack

The Hackensack White Manna Diner is a fast food restaurant located at 358 River Street. The diner has been at the site since 1946, and it is on the banks of the Hackensack River.

The White Manna Diner of Hackensack has also been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on the Food Network.

Differences

While you may notice that both restaurants are of similar name they are quite different. For instance at White Mana the burgers are served on a full sized white bread hamburger bun and at White Manna they come on the slider sized Martin’s Potato roll. The ordering at the two restaurants is quite different as well. At White Manna the fries come out separately far in advance of a burger. Some consider the Hackensack Manna the true White Manna even though the Jersey City location slightly pre-dates it. Others say that the Jersey City location is more original because it sticks to a more classic way of doing things. The Jersey City location is also open 24 hours and serves bacon & taylor ham…Hackensack does not.

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:52:40 PM »

Does anyone know if there is still another White Manna at Nungesser's across from the Hudson County Park on Bergenline Avenue?
Does that structure at Nungesser's still exist. Whether it still exists or not, does it, or did it, have as interesting a background as does the Jersey City structure? Might it have been owned by Louis Bridges as well?

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:37:44 AM »
Does anyone know if there is still another White Manna at Nungesser's across from the Hudson County Park on Bergenline Avenue?

As far as I know, there are only the two White Manna/Manas that the Editor mentioned.

Are you thinking of the White Castle at Nungessers that's catty-corner to Hudson County Park? I went there in the 60s and I'm pretty sure it was there a long time before that.

You could take the 165 bus from Hackensack and be let off a very short block from it.

You still can - it's still there.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:10:40 AM »
While I have never been to the White Mana in Jersey City, I loved the White Manna in Hackensack when I was a child and still love it as an adult.  McDonald's across the street cannot compare to the superb taste of White Manna when it comes to hamburgers.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
White Manna: a bad review
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 08:37:53 AM »
http://www.burgerbeast.com/2009/08/white-manna-burger-new-jersey.html

White Manna Burger - New Jersey

My name is David and I was Burger Beast's first customer at Oh, the Horror . When he closed the place down I decided it was time to move on, so here I am residing in the Garden State. Which brings me to White Manna, a tiny burger joint built in 1946 resting right on the banks of the Hackensack river in Hackensack NJ. It's probably worth mentioning that the original White Manna still operates in Jersey City.

I have passed by this place for 3 years and every time I do this little burger stand is always packed with people. They even wait outside. I mean, it doesn't matter what time of day it is, you have to wait to get a burger here. My expectations were pretty high because of this I have to admit.

My first impression when I walked in was that it looked like a miniature diner or maybe something out of Willy Wonka. The phone's ringing off the hook, and people wanting to know how to get there. There were customers ordering take out while others chomped on their sliders one at a time. I ordered a dozen sliders half with cheese and all of them with onions. An order of fries and some soft drinks to go with that. Relax it wasn't all for me, I had some company(my wife and her sister).

After a bit of a wait, What I got was quite unexpected, 4 burgers on a plate all squished together. One of them even had a finger indentation left on the bun (it was pressed in fear of the lady who grabbed it from slipping through her grasp). I have never seen a more appetizing collection of meat and buns in my life to be honest . I was so happy, I was moments away from sinking my teeth into a New Jersey slider that obtained cult status from it's locals and beyond.

Even with all the fresh, local ingredients and the delicious Martin's Potato Rolls it was still a disappointment. The heavenly looking slider was a bit dry and the onions were thinly cut. So thin in fact that after sitting in the cold awhile they seemed to have dried up (losing it's taste). The meat was lacking flavor, unless you had plenty of ketchup and cheese (this burger was hardly palatable). I'm sorry I let you down folks but the White Manna let me down too! I don't see what all the fuss is about. I think it came to the point where people eat there just to say to their grandchildren one day that they did. White castle is only 2 miles away and that's where I'll be eating my next slider.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 08:40:58 AM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: White Manna Video
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 11:13:40 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zanf2vJXwfE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Zanf2vJXwfE&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 04:59:39 PM »
In case you missed it Sunday morning, AHT's own Nick "Beef Aficionado" Solares appeared in a segment of CBS Sunday Morning, in which he talked about sliders with Bobby Flay. The piece was pretty much Nick's awesome Guide to Northern New Jersey Sliders come to life in living video.

White Manna is in the later part of the clip. 

Watch CBS News Videos Online

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2010, 12:11:23 AM »
Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives: White Manna Hamburgers

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MhLeH46e0is&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MhLeH46e0is&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 08:37:34 AM »

anything