Author Topic: 1930's Aerial Photo  (Read 33553 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1930's Aerial Photo
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 07:33:04 PM »

I have pondering the 73 State Street theory put forth, and now express serious doubts on that one.

Yes, the vacant lot at the SW corner of State and Myer is approximately where 73 would be.  But so is the dark-colored house next to it. 

Lots of houses had double-lots back then. Land wasn't at the premium it is now.  That was probably the side yard or the garden plot for that adjacent house.  Or just a lot being held vacant for future real estate construction by the house next door, or some other person who lives somewhere else.  We cannot assume that a house formerly stood on that lot.  I think it is more likely that the lot was held by the house next door, for one reason or another.

It was probably the dark-colored house that was demolished in 1941.  It's in the aerial photo, therefore 1941 is the upper limit of the photo.  The 165 Union Street evidence is interesting, there is a new duplex there now.  It replaced a vacant lot and a very small very old red house that was close to the street (167).  I heard once that there was previously another small house on that vacant lot, also close to the street.  So that would be 165, and BLeafe has identified when it was demolished.   So we're looking at mid 1938 as the lower date limit.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 07:43:26 PM »

Look at the YMHA on Essex Street, see the bare trees around it. There are no leaves on the trees, therefore it is likely to have been taken Nov 1 - April 15th.

There is also no snow on the ground and no ice in the river, but that is not definitive. The picture could be January in a warm winter.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2010, 01:42:26 AM »
Not sure how important the rail abandonment information is to dating the aerial photo.  The rail line was abandoned on a specific date, but the rails weren't ripped up on that date.

It's important because service ceased in August of 1938 and there is no in-use trolley track visible in the picture - save for the dead-end track in the yard - so the rails were already ripped out. The information set a new bottom limit of 1938 at a time when that limit was 1937 - one step in the process, for those who are paying attention.

Route 17:

<< Doesn't matter if it was called Route 2 at the time. >>

That's why I wrote the following under my Rt 17 info:

"None of this helps our quest"

165 Union
:

<< "So that would be 165, and BLeafe has identified when it was demolished." >>

Thanks, but that identification was provided by our good friend, the Editor.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

anything