Poll

Who will you vote for on April 20, 2004?

Walter H. Carroll, Francis W. Albolino (incumbents) and Jorge E. Meneses
5 (35.7%)
Junemarie Ramp, Jenny Marin, and Rhonda Williams-Bembry (challengers)
6 (42.9%)
Undecided
3 (21.4%)
Don't vote in School Board Elections
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: 2004 School Board Election (Topic closed).  (Read 43983 times)

Offline wetochwink

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
NJ Voters and School Board Elections
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2004, 08:45:02 AM »
This annual election has only been implemented in the last 10 or so years. From its inception, critics claimed there would never be a large voter turnout - how right they are!

From today's Record:
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk0NSZmZ2JlbDdmN3ZxZWVFRXl5NjUxNzY0NyZ5cmlyeTdmNzE3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTM=

Traditionally, most New Jersey voters skip school elections. In last year's school elections, 15.2 percent of voters turned out, slightly higher than the 14.2 percent in 2002. Between 1983 and last year, the highest voter turnout was 18.6 percent, in 1991.

If the PTA continues to only inform parents within the school system about School Board Elections and Budget propositions - its no wonder that incubents and budge increases continue to get passed.

Perhaps the "conspiracy theory" (if you will) is just that. Not keeping all residents informed about elections and not fully explaining potential tax increases will keep the voter turnout low and in favor of what the BOE wants passed.

Believe me, I have a tough time deciding to vote in approval for a budget increase ever year.  The last thing I want to do is prevent a good educational experience for the children.  But at the same time, with annual tax increases I (as do you) have to worry about providing for my family (shelter, food, clothing, etc).  If only the state/federal government would provide more...

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re:School Board Election Poll (Participate!)
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2004, 01:13:19 PM »
Well, that's over.

Some observations...

1.  Not one candidate contributed anything to the online discussion, although all of them knew it existed.  One candidate told me he would not contribute to the discussion because he did not want to participate in a "negative campaign".  With one exception, I think the posts were constructive, and did not amount to electronic "mud-slinging".  

One would think the candidates would have taken advantage of the cheapest, most convenient, effective and far-reaching campaign tool available, - the internet.  None did.  

2. Since no questions were allowed at the live debate at Nellie K. Parker (which was not widely publicized), I thought this would have been a great way to get some questions answered.  I wonder if more participation by the candidates in this forum would have changed the result.  After all, the highest vote getter for the "Better Education Team" only lost by 141 votes.  Could the "Better Education Team" have changed the minds of some of the 1000+ voters who visited Hackensack Now? Enough to make a difference?  

3. The poll results were wrong.  Although, from the extremely limited participation, I doubted the sample results could have provided any useful information.  I had hoped to predict the election. Maybe the poll in the Freeholder election or City Council race in 2005 will be more accurate.

4.  Only 8.3 percent of the voting population voted.  Due to the limited campaigning and lack of effort to get the public involved, I'm surprised voter turn-out was that high.  Voters without children in school were never even notified of the live debate.  

5. There was more participation in this topic than any other topic on Hackensack Now, by far.  More than 1400 views, and about 45 posts! People seemed genuinely interested in the discussion and the debate was organized and civil (with a few exceptions).  This, to me, is very encouraging.  Thank you all for your participation.  

« Last Edit: April 21, 2004, 04:58:45 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re:School Board Election Poll (Participate!)
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2004, 01:19:03 PM »