Poll

Who will you vote for on April 20, 2004?

Walter H. Carroll, Francis W. Albolino (incumbents) and Jorge E. Meneses
5 (35.7%)
Junemarie Ramp, Jenny Marin, and Rhonda Williams-Bembry (challengers)
6 (42.9%)
Undecided
3 (21.4%)
Don't vote in School Board Elections
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: 2004 School Board Election (Topic closed).  (Read 43976 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
2004 School Board Election (Topic closed).
« on: March 13, 2004, 02:38:13 AM »
School Board Election Poll. 

You will have to register with an email address in order to participate.  It's easy:  go to button on top that says "register".  You'll get Hackensack Now's periodic e-newsletter.

The following is a Record Article about the upcoming School Board Election:

Click:School board challengers look to build on success

Aside from new computers and an after-school program, what are the other issues?  Which candidates would like to see property taxes raised?  Which candidates will look for creative ways to find money for these needed programs? What other programs should be started? Eliminated?

Lets start a discussion thread here on this election and get people involved.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 10:36:55 AM by Editor »

"wetochwink"

School Board Election
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 01:30:45 AM »
For once I want to see someone address the ANNUAL tax increases we as residents continue to get from the BOE.  Its completely unacceptable and irresponible of city, county, state, federal officials and the BOE.

No one has ever addressed the "one time" tax increase a few years ago to build the 5/6 school.  For a one time tax increase, I never saw my taxes go down the following year or there after.

With the lack of funding from the state and the planned tax increase from the county, this year's tax increase should be interesting.

shazams5

Where are the candidates?
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 01:57:47 PM »
There is only one month until the election and I don't know the issues or the candidates.

I had hoped that the candidates would post their platforms and positions in this message board.

I never know what's happening in school board elections which is why I almost never vote.

bee bee 28

Re:School Board Election Poll (Participate!)
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 01:45:47 PM »
I would like to know what the candidates plan to do about the hundreds of ilegal students in the school system.  these illegally registered students are costing taxpayers big bucks in the form of higher school taxes.  had something been done a few years ago, there would have been no need at all for the 5-6 school to be built.  Bergenfield had the right idea a few years ago, and they removed a couple of hundred students that did not live-and legitimately live-in their district.  just because grandma or an uncle live in Hackensack doesnt mean you have the right to send your out of town kids here!

Offline Anderson

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 10:10:21 PM »
Very Good Point!  Something must be done about out of town kids attending school in town.

Offline tuscany

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2004, 07:40:50 AM »
it is time for [personal attack deleted by editor]to go.he is a rubber stampman who comes to the meetings half in the bag.he is better suited for coaching the kids beforehappy  hour. he can not add 2 plus 2 let alone understand the complexity of a school budget. it is time for the elected school board to run the schools and not the city council & a retired maywood educator. can our highly paid board
employees handle the job ?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:58:49 PM by Editor »

hackensack

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2004, 03:02:36 PM »
How could a person who made racist comments  want to run for the school board
 no names being called but they know who they are

also a teacher who was let go from the hackensack school district

I agree the school system does need to be over hauled and the teachers need contracts but do we have the right people running to make these changes. A town this size and the teachers have to be scared about losing their bennifits this is nuts. If you are trying to save money lets start with getting rid of some of the over paid people in the board.

Dr Riely should be the first gone since she is over paid and then brings her people in to work in the system and she over pays them.

Also why have two principles at the middle school/5 / 6 school it would make alot more sense of having one principle and add another asst. this would allow the system to save money plus makes alot of common sense of having one set of rules for the students to follow and it would free up  money. Right now you have two people in charge with different sets of rules and they continue to disagree.

why does the 5/6 school need so many people in the office and apart of the admin. Look at the position made up for Mr. Miran(spelling)

Then there are many many students who do not live in town and the board know who many of them are. Recently there was a student who was brought up about not living in town and using his grandparents address and the board has looked the other way. This is not fair to us tax payers

Hackensack School board needs to stricking the standards but I am not sure they have the right people running to make changes,

upsetparent

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2004, 03:09:20 PM »
How could the school allow a team with out of towners use the High School Fieds at the tax payers expense. The BOE has allow this team the use of the field with kids from out of town and coaches who were removed from their feeder program(hackensack baseball)  

The board has made many mistakes in / out side of the schools and this is just one more major problem.

Then they move the high school team to Foschini park and the kikds who are scheduled to play on the field have to suffer.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
How am I supposed to vote?
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2004, 12:21:53 PM »
I emailed representatives of both slates running in this election, informing them of this poll.  I have also announced the poll on the homepage and approximately 400 people have viewed the post.  

I invited each slate to announce their platforms and address the concerns raised in the message boards. I can only assume the candidates are aware of the public's desire to learn their positions.

To date, no candidates have come forward to explain their respective positions.  Have I missed something?  Was there a meeting, a debate, a news article?

How can anyone make an educated decision in this election without knowing the positions of the candidates?  Without more information, I would expect that the only way to vote is for the status quo.

Is that what the incumbents are hoping for?

I would ask that both slates make more of an effort to explain why they are deserving to hold public office and be placed in charge of educating the city's children.  
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 03:55:46 PM by Editor »

hackensack

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 07:52:41 PM »
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

hackensack

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 08:02:24 PM »
zZZZZZZZzzzzz is how I feel hearing all the BS that the new candidates are ranting. They are being very nasty and nieve.

How come one of the candidates husband was totally a pain in the butt and shooted out so much he was asked to remain quite or leave. the issues he was trying to discuss were totally incorrect and unmoral to a man who has served his time and always has put the children of Hackensack first.......

They are slandering the current board and stating so many things that are untrue.

I am at a lost on how this people think they can run a Education Board.

What will they teach the kids and  what will they require the the students to learn. How to be nasty and make horrible comments about others  or maybe just how to use yoru race as a crutch.

one of there classes to be taught in school will be
How to step on others at all cost.

People please look at the future and see these people running against the board are total ________s and should not be involved with our children.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 08:42:16 PM »
See page two of this topic for a synopsis of the last debate of the candidates.

Vote Today!!!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 01:53:47 AM by Editor »

hackensack

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 09:22:52 PM »
Ok if you call all those nasty and horrible remarks as a debate then go for it.

I much would rather hear them dicussing how to control the budget without raising the taxes and getting better test scores. The chidren are the ones suffering.

I do not believe from the bottom of my hearth that the candidates running have the kids best interest.

Lets see is any of them will step up and post were they stand on issues.

Racist comments are not needed as I heard last night at the meeting.

I was standing around at the end  and heard a comment that was not polical correct. This is not the first time I have heard comments like this from that person.

My question is do we want a person like this repersenting our kids

[personal attacks deleted by editor]

What about the cameras in the 5/ 6

Why do we need to have 2 separte adminastsation for the 5/6 and the Middle school? We could save so much money if there was one Admin.. and one set of rules.

Where do the candates stand on having public school buses for the children who attend the 5/6, Middle, and High School. Thsi will void the hassel of the double parked cars and kids hanging out getting in trouble. With all the taxes we should have buses

Ok lets see where this goes and then we could discuss others topics
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:42:35 PM by Editor »

Offline tuscany

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 11:40:25 PM »
you are correct. however you fail to mention the
biggest screwball of them all.

[personal attack deleted by editor]

The BOE  office makes city hall
look efficient. get rid of the dead beats and give
our dedicated teachers a proper & fair raise.

[personal attack deleted by editor]

« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:50:49 PM by Editor »

marie

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2004, 10:21:46 AM »
The Board of Education has tried to do the right things for teh children, but some of the personal choices have not been the best..

Dr _ is a good man and soes care about teh Teachers, Staff and most importantly the CHILDREN.

Mr _ shoudl not be there a waste of tax payers money why not bring in a new face and someone full time.

Dr _ is one of teh worst choices that teh BOE has made she really needs to be gone.

Mr _ seems to be running things in teh Boards Office he is trying

[above initials omitted by editor]

Hackensack Board of Education lets think of the children first rather than a business or a way of getting your buddy/family jobs

« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 03:29:17 PM by Editor »