Author Topic: Mayflower Diner  (Read 8013 times)

Offline Kaffekat

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Mayflower Diner
« on: March 19, 2005, 10:06:44 PM »
Does anyone remember the Mayflower Diner on Essex Street?
My sister and (future) brother in law met there -
if possible I would love to surprise them with a picture of it from back when.

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Mayflower Diner
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »
I recall the Mayflower. It was where Simple Simons is/was (I have lived in CA the last 22 years, so it may have changed). Used to ride my bike up there with my buddy and we would each order a coke, served in a paper cone inserted in a metal holder. The 2 ladies that worked the afternoons there would also serve us a plate of cookies for free. That whole area was great. Had Breslow's and ShopRite across the street. The bakery was around the corner and I would buy hot rolls for 6 cents each on the way to school. Would get pizza from Luigi's, though I thought their pizza sucked!!! Used to get my haircut by Norm at the barbershop on the corner.   

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 10:36:16 PM »
You know the whole square block bounded by Summit, Essex, Prospect, and Thompson was condemned by the city and turned over to developers to make a huge office building with nice stores on the ground level, and 2 levels of underground parking, plus parking between the building and Essex Street.

It's called the Alfred Sanzari Medical Arts building.  Not technically part of the hospital, it pays taxes.  If you haven't been to Hackensack in 22 years, you have no idea how big the hospital is now.  Take your biggest realistic guess, and triple it. 

Offline Top of the Hill

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »
I have been back about 7 times since my departure. The last time was the summer of 2007. I read the Record on-line a couple times a week so I am aware of the hospital's growth. I used to work part time in the hospital's kitchen during my high school years. 1976 time frame.