Author Topic: Christmas in Hackensack...past and present  (Read 4965 times)

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Christmas in Hackensack...past and present
« on: December 25, 2008, 05:36:01 PM »

MERRY CHRISTMAS HACKENSACK

HOHOHO !
please share your Christmas thoughts and memories  :angel:
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 05:57:18 PM by prospectgirl »

Offline prospectgirl

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas in Hackensack...past and present
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 10:55:26 PM »

Sad to share that in the greater Orlando area the spirit of Christmas is much diminished. :(
 Please,"Say it ain't so!" in Hackensack; please help me believe Christmas still shines brightly there.

My personal Christmas Eve experience brought me a cold jolt of reality. As daylight was receding and as I was paying for my last purchases at, Publix, a pricey upscale supermarket, I cheerfully wished the remaining few employees "Merry Christmas". To my surprise, each of their faces froze at the politically incorrect expression. The  cashier, bag-boy and the young assistant manager waiting to close the register, en masse, each withheld any reply. A surreal silence encompassed their embarrassment and as eyes met eyes, a sad commentary on the lost innocence of Christmas Past, and a rude awakening of Christmases to come lingered in the air.

Was their silence an effect of corporate "policy" enforced, or three grinches who no longer respond to the small niceties of the Advent, I wondered?   

As a retired teacher, I have often offered my sincere expression of good-willed wishes to those who celebrate other customary holidays and have never before felt the sense of separation that I carried to my small abode this Christmas Eve.

Thus, on Christmas Day, I posted my hope to hear that it "ain't so" in my beloved hometown city. I still imagine the glowing warmth of many years of Hackensack Christmases in the late 40's through the 60's. Please post any warm experiences that you encountered so I may know they still exist. I know "you all" had true winter "Christmasy" weather. And I am NOT bragging when I share that our day was in the 80's and brightly sunny until late afternoon. It just takes away some of the spirit.

Once again, I wish a wonderful holiday to all... and hope each of you know that my "merry christmas" was never intended to offend. How sad my heart is to even have to make an explanation for the openheartedness  of my Christmas wishes.   
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:59:59 PM by prospectgirl »

Offline Hope Donnelly

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Christmas in Hackensack...past and present
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »
Merry Christmas to you.

Unfortunately, I get the same reply from saying a cheery Hello to cashiers and store personnel.  They're sort of stunned and really don't know how to respond.