Author Topic: 2009 Hackensack City Election  (Read 43753 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
2009 Hackensack City Election
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:10:57 AM »
Time to start this string, the election is in May.

Who's running as incumbants ???  Who's running as challengers ???

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Hackensack City Election
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:24:22 AM »
I see in today's Record that Hackensack Police Chief Ken Zisa is sueing Deborah Labrosse for statements posted online against him on another website.  The Record article reports that her husband is running for a city council position.

OK, I just re-read my post to make sure it is squeaky clean.  Just the facts.  There is nothing posted that I, or our editor, can be sued for.  Please, everyone, make sure that nothing potentially inflammatory is posted.

Can anyone else post who is running for election, what challengers, what incumbants.   Thanks.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
The article:
Police chief sues over online posts

In the suit, Zisa says he is seeking punitive, compensatory damages and legal fees from Deborah Labrosse, a teacher whose husband is considering running for a City Council seat this year.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 09:28:21 AM by Editor »

Offline SackResident

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:58:11 PM »
When will we know who will be challenging the current council.  I voted for the current council, but after some things that have happened over the past 4 years I am hoping for some change.  Can anyone provide me with information on the candidates. 

On another note I think it is horrible that the Chief of Police is suing a first grade teacher over some comments that questioned him.  I have read those comments and the were not derogatory whatsoever.  I wish Mrs. Labrosse all the luck in the world.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:00:36 PM by SackResident »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 11:29:34 PM »
A recent Record article says that the deadline to file petitions is this Thursday, 3/19.  The article ended with an intriguing quote from LaBrosse's attorney, who is William Russiello.  Here's what Russiello had to say:

"When someone as powerful as the police chief cannot take criticism from an ordinary citizen and resorts to the courts to stop the citizen from voicing criticism, then I think we have a problem,''. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:17:22 AM »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 08:33:20 PM »
Otchy is running for city council !!!  In the words of Charlie Brown.... good grief. 

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2009, 01:06:15 PM »
I have liked some of the changes in the city over the past 4 years.  Honestly, most of the biggies were done by the Upper Main Alliance, but the administration was supportive.  There have been some positive changes to the sanitation system, especially an increase in recycling.  There have been alot of ratables brought into town.

BUT - I question some of the recent choices that seem as if the city is being sold to Hackensack University Medical Center piece by piece.  First it was the strip on Essex Street between Prospect and Summit, but that ended up being what seems like an improvement, even if the process wasn't very graceful.

Then the hospital started gobbling up property near 2nd street and down to 1st street.  Again, maybe they were "blighted" properties, maybe not. 

There was, of course, the infamous EMT decision, where the hospital was given a contract to provide EMT service.  I am not so concerned that the new EMTs are not qualified, since I would like to believe that those who were hired by the hospital are as dedicated to the health and safety of their patients as anyone, but I was concerned about the way it was handled, and the motivation behind it seems, well, suspect.  The city insisted on going through with this to save each taxpayer, what, about $20 a year?  Despite the fact that most taxpayers were quite vocal about not wanting it.

Now I'm hearing rumors (just rumors, I don't know for sure) that the city has been given some sum of money by the hospital and HUMC is now going to be buying the Sears building and property to build more hospital buildings.  There is also a rumor about building an EMT training center at Foschini Park. 

Can someone let me know if these rumors are true?  If they are, they are worrisome, and if they're not, I'd like to set the record straight.

Offline Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »
The people in office now get my vote for another 4 years.

Following these stories for some time now I think the incumbents were right to hold the line on taxes.  The layoffs were hard but let's face it, times are tough.  In this town, we lost 8 emergency medics and saved about $3 million over 5 years. That's huge. And when you look at the numbers below, it could have been so much worse.  This is the worst economy in decades. 

Citigroup - 59,000 layoffs
Bank of America - 35,000 layoffs (over 3 years - to 2011)
HP Electronic Data Systems - 24,500 layoffs (over 3 years - to 2011)
Linens 'n Things - 21,250 layoffs
General Motors - 19,000 layoffs
Lehman Brothers - 16,000 layoffs
Alcoa - 15,200 layoffs
Starbuck's - 12,000 layoffs
AT&T - 12,000 layoffs
Wachovia - 11,250 layoffs
BT (British TeleCom) - 10,000 layoffs
DHL (US Division) - 9,500 layoffs
Bennigan's Restaurants - 9,300 layoffs
JP Morgan/Washington Mutual Acquisition - 9,200 layoffs
JP Morgan/Bear Stearns Acquisition - 9,160 layoffs
Dell - 8,900 layoffs
Sony (USA) - 8,000 layoffs
Bank of America (Countrywide) - 7,500 layoffs
Circuit City - 7,305 layoffs
American Express - 7,000 layoffs
NASA - 7,000 layoffs
American Airlines - 7,000 layoffs
Google - 6,000 - 4,300 layoffs
Sun Microsystems - 6,000 layoffs
Credit Suisse - 5,300 layoffs
Merrill Lynch - 5,150 layoffs
Reliance Group - 5,000 layoffs
GMAC - 5,000 layoffs
Dow Chemical - 5,000 layoffs
Morgan Stanley - 4,100 layoffs
Fidelity Investments - 4,000 layoffs
Sprint Nextel - 4,000 layoffs
University of Texas Medical Branch - 3,800 layoffs
Siemens Enterprise Communications - 3,800 layoffs
PepesiCo - 3,300 layoffs
Goldman Sachs - 3,260 layoffs
Lehman Brothers - 2,900 layoffs
Nokia (Manufacturing division) - 2,300 layoffs
Daimler Trucks - 2,100
Nortel Networks - 2,100 layoffs
Chrysler - 1,825 layoffs
International Paper - 1,500 - 1,000 layoffs
Yahoo! - 1,500 - 1,000 layoffs
Goldman Sachs - 1,500 layoffs
HSBC North American Holdings - 1,350 layoffs
Lenovo - 1,250 layoffs
Nissan (UK) - 1,200 layoffs
HSBC - 1,100 layoffs
Hudson's Bay Company - 1,000 layoffs
Macy's - 960 layoffs
Bank of America - 928 layoffs (management)
Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co - 850 layoffs
Boeing - 800 layoffs
Woolworths - 700 layoffs
Nokia (US Sales) - 650 layoffs
Texas Instruments - 650 layoffs
Adobe Systems - 600 layoffs
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) - 500 layoffs
Merrill Lynch (Trading division) - 500 layoffs
Level 3 Communications - 450 layoffs
Barclay's - 400 layoffs
E-Trade Financial Corp. - 278 layoffs
Palm - 200 layoffs
Akamai - 110 layoffs

As for the hospital expansion, HUMC is about the only thing expanding these days.  That means more jobs and opportunities for local business.  And you are right- Main Street looks better than ever.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 09:47:08 PM »
There was an article in the last County Seat that answers some of Hack72's questions.

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:34 PM »
Is that the April edition?  I didn't get that one this time.  I'll have to get a hold of one.  Thanks.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 08:14:45 PM »
The editor suggested that my last post on the topic of the Summit Ave highrise would be appropriate in the string on the election.  He is correct.  So I am copying it here:
----------------------

Whatever you do, don't say one negative thing about Ken Zisa on this website.  That's when the real trouble starts.  Of course, I am completely muzzled in my ability to say anything specifically negative about him, or I could be sued.  That's the whole idea of the lawsuit, and it is definately working. But I can say that I don't like him and I don't support him politically.  I'm just "not allowed" to say why.

I like this council, especially Melfi.  Melfi's personal committment to Summit Avenue, to preserving the integrity of the city's zoning ordinance, and to property Maintenance matters citywide cannot be understated.  The amount of time and effort he's put in on these issues is amazing, just ask Zoning Officer Joe Mellone.  My biggest issue with the City Council is their relationship with Ken Zisa.  Frankly, I would be open to the idea of new faces on the council, just to help diminish the political power base of Ken Zisa.  I openly support taking measures to weaken the power base of Ken Zisa. This has to be done within the Democratic Party, and I advocate that all Democrats vote for any Republican opposing him in any future election for ANY office. (Hey, I still haven't say anything specifically about him, so I can't be sued.)

However, that being said, it is clear to me that these Citizens For Change challengers absolutely do not fit the shoes of a Mayor and Council.  I don't think that Citizens for Change knows the relationship between ratables and taxes, or how homeless facilities lower property values and destroy the tax base as well as the economic climate of our downtown.  I cannot support them.  Who knows, they might be happy with these 3 houses on Summit Avenue being used as homeless shelters, just as long as the Nursing home is built elsewhere.

The real Hackensack insiders know there is an on-again, off-again rift between Ken Zisa and Lynne Hurwitz.  (One of Lynne's closest political cronies is Loretta Weinberg....just connect the dots). If you recall, Lynne Hurwitz's group interviewed and ran candidates for City Council in the Spring of 2005, and there was tremendous behind-the-scenes dispute over this whole matter.  Jack Zisa and his running mates retired undefeated, and the new council ran and became the new administration.  I recall that all the Zisa's were upset with the change. Councilman Roger Mattei was besides himself with frustration, that he was just pushed aside after 16 years of total loyalty.  Loyalty is something he values the highest. He thought it was a total stab in the back, and to some extent he was right. Mark Stein thought it would be a 4-year intermission, that the new council would be discredited by tax increases, and he'd come back to run again either for Mayor or for City Council. He's not getting that opportunity (yet), and that's probably why he's running now for the School Board.  Whether he wins or loses, we haven't seen the last of Mark Stein.

In my humble opinion, Ken Zisa is supporting this current council just to maintain a political base in his home town, out of political expediency.  I suspect that Ken Zisa would have been much happier with his brother still as Mayor.  It is well known that his great loyalty is to Joe Ferreiro, and vis versa.  The current council is happy to have his support, because the Hackensack Police have a substantial political influence in Hackensack and throughout Bergen County.  But I don't think the council ever took any orders from Ferreiro. And they certainly aren't beholden to Joe Basralian just because he gave a donation. All the big-shot lawyers donate to candidates.

As for the Summit Ave project, I'm unsure if the Council's action in opposing the project carries the legal burden it's been alleged to.  If anything, they may open themselves to being personally sued. Historically, incumbant elected officials are usually fearful of taking a stand on Zoning and Planning Board cases.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2009, 09:58:20 PM »
I have say I agree with just watching about our chief of police - and will also not state why. However, I disagree with your position on Citizens for Change. Actually I have never heard them even suggest that the houses on Summit be used as homeless shelters. Stop by their headquarters at 193 Main on Thursday and you can ask them about that yourself. I have heard several good ideas from them. You could also ask them about ratables and taxes too. I understand that in the last year almost $120,000,00 came off the ratable base (you can check that with the tax assessor).

Further, after reading today's article in the Record, I am more convinced than ever that the current council must go. Citizens for Change are the best chance to make that happen.

Mr. Melfi and the council have the power of appointment for planning & zoning boards. You would think that the people they put on those boards have ideas similar to the mayor & council. But the boards do one thing and the mayor and council say something else. It makes me wonder.

As for connecting the political dots - I can't go into the details here of what I read on another forum - but there appears to be a very strong political connection between this mayor & council and BCDO. Maybe you should check it out.

Offline averagejoe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 08:09:15 PM »
if you choose to "cite" the garbage posted on that"other" site.you are either dishonest or naive.the same 4 or 5 people using multiple screen names just post the most vile crap about some pretty classy people,yes i mean the council and manager.disagree with them or their decisions all you like,thats america,but to state as has been done often"indictments re days away" they are corrupt" or"they take bribes" is far over the line of political discourse. it is defamatory and im glad the police chief took a stand.too may keyboard commandos lurking.