Author Topic: 2009 Hackensack City Election  (Read 45627 times)

Offline averagejoe

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 Hackensack City Election
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »
i wouldnt hold my breath justwatching.theyre not really up on important issues.but i think your pint that if it walks and quacks like a duck,it is likely a duck,is well taken.can it be that the prior "editions" of citizens for change,i.e. salvo,dunn.outclassed this one? mores the pity

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 07:57:17 AM »
I don't know this current cast of characters.

In 2005, I emailed everyone I knew, "if you vote for Citizens for Change, Hackensack is Dunn".

This time I still say they should change their name to "Citizens for Spare Change", because they are the pro-homeless slate. Isn't that what the homeless want, spare change ?  Aren't they paying the homeless to distribute campaign literature ???

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2009, 01:30:32 PM »
just watching - where do you get your misinformation?

Family Alliance is working with Citizens for Change.

Here's their site

http://www.njworkingfamilies.org/

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
how many homeless volunteers associated with the Family Alliance and ACORN are distributing campaign literature for Citizens for Spare Change.

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2009, 12:20:36 PM »
Just watching,

Although I've enjoyed and or disagreed with some of your posts in the past... It appears that you're attempting to turn this site into another NJO.com.  That's disappointing !

Gene " Skip "

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2009, 11:00:22 AM »
Today's Record: Trio present case for a better Hackensack  (First of three parts.)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »
Today's Record: 'Reformers' confront council on many issues (Second of three parts)

See also: All 13 candidates meet at Devonshire (Chronicle)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2009, 07:29:04 PM »
Today's Record: Hackensack incumbents vow to hold line on taxes (Third of three parts)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: 2009 Hackensack City Election Results
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2009, 11:32:28 PM »
I don't have exact numbers yet but in order of votes received, highest to lowest, the winners are:

1. Michael Melfi
2. Jorge Meneses
3. Marlin Townes
4. Karen Sasso
5. John Labrosse

Congratulations to the winners.

Does anyone know the last time a ticket was split in Hackensack? 

Record article:
Hackensack and Lyndhurst voters stick with incumbents
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 01:08:29 AM by Editor »

Offline Hack72

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2009, 08:38:42 AM »
I have no idea when the last time a ticket was split in Hackensack, but I think it's a positive thing.  Unanimity is not good for a democratic, representative government, in my opinion.  I'd have liked to see the results a little more mixed.  I think good, hard-working people would welcome some debate and compromise.  I am hopeful that those who are in will govern with integrity. 

Congratulations to the winners and those who did not win but put out a good effort and raised some awareness and interest in the happenings of this city.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2009, 09:19:41 AM »
From today's Record: http://www.northjersey.com/news/elections/44853472.html

Michael Melfi* 1,813
Jorge Meneses* 1,798
Marlin Townes* 1,780
Karen Sasso* 1,745
John Labrosse 1,649
Larry Eisen 1,628
Kathleen Canestrino 1,612
Toni Williams Haverty 1,549
Ronda Wilson 1,537
Pablo Andrade 1,427
Rhonda Williams Bembry 579

*Incumbent
Guy Navarro 457
Margaret Otchy 445

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2009, 03:11:38 PM »
Wow, I knew the vote would be closer than last time, but not expecting a split vote. I think if there wasn't a third ticket, all of the incumbants would have lost.  These next four years is the time for the council majority to redefine themselves, and to continue the progress that is being made in Hackensack.

Let's all give Labrosse the benefit of the doubt.  Let's see if he emerges as a team player, or if he'll be like a Richard Rankin, but sitting on the Council.  If anyone was ever to a Freeholder meeting when there were both Democrats and Republicans elected, that could be a sample of things to come in Hackensack. God forbid.

The last time a ticket split was 1985, and it was accomplished by John Smith, an employee of PSE&G in Hackensack who lived in a house on South Prospect Avenue.  Those on then-current Mayor Fred Cerbo's ticket were Thomas Della Torre, Conrad Francis, Barbara Elder, and a radical tenant activist named Cynthia Ryan.  Ryan was the Shirley Maclaine of Hackensack.  I strongly support tenant rights, but Ryan was so far out in left field, she was beyond the wall and someplace in the upper deck.  Not being a homeowner didn't help her either.  Rumor has it that her connections with Cerbo earned her a seat on the ticket, that's all I'll say on this website because to say more would be inappropriate.

John Smith ran on a ticket with Frank Zisa Sr (father of Jack Zisa), and he was the token African-American on the ticket.  The rest of the ticket and most of their supporters were furious that he was the only one who made it.  There was a lot of negative press against Ryan, and some behind-the-scenes bullet voting, which put Smith on top.

Smith quickly dissociated himself from the Zisa political machine that he was never really close with in the first place, and he became a more-on-less independant voice on the Council.  He didn't fulfill the role of challenging and attacking and grandstanding against the council majority on every possible issue, and he voted for the Cerbo budgets.  Let's see if Labrosse follows this model or not.

anything