Author Topic: 24-story tower for Summit Avenue  (Read 326802 times)

Offline elizabeth

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 24-story tower for Summit Avenue
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2009, 03:43:13 PM »
SAVE THE DATE- AUGUST 13TH - Rep. Steve Rothman will be at city hall on a listening tour. He will be there from 7-9 p.m.  We need to inform him about this medical building proposal; give him the facts and see what he says...I think this is one way to attract attention to it and no doubt, there might be residents at the meeting who will be hearing about this monstrosity for the first time! We have nothing to lose...if you're opposed to the Pineles building, tell your friends to attend the meeting with Mr.Rothman.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2009, 08:21:07 PM »
That would be quite a coup to get Rothman's support, but it's definately worth a shot.  His family is long established in real estate and construction.  So if he came out against it, that would speak volumes to the whole real estate/construction community.

Offline Prospect Avenue Coalition

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:30 AM »
#5300 - I saw this article on CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/10/health.care.questions/index.html

Perhaps residents should try to approach Rothman with a prepared remark at the end of the session should things get out of hand.

SAVE THE DATE - FOURTH HACKENSACK SPECIAL ZONING BOARD MEETING ON WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 23RD AT 7 PM IN 3RD FLOOR AUDITORIUM AT CITY HALL 65 CENTRAL AVENUE.

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2009, 08:04:55 AM »
Save the date - Wednesday September 23, 2009
Fourth Hackensack Zoning Board Special Meeting

« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:48:17 AM by swapcatsr »

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2009, 01:04:46 AM »
#5789 Since we began attending these Hackensack Zoning Board meetings to protest the Richard Pineles Hospital many Hackensack residents have approached me to voice their concerns regarding the NJTransit bus #162 and #163. A number of people wanted ProspectAvenueCoalition to contact NJTransit for fear that the 162 bus would be detoured away from the Prospect Avenue beginning at Passaic Street especially at the first sign of construction.

I envision delays and periodic detours if any construction begins prior to 8:30 am. I can't remember at what time they began work on Prospect Heights although I don't recall experiencing delays when I lived across the street from the 1st stop on Prospect Avenue when I jumped on the 162 bus at 7:20 am.

Anyone riding the 163 bus should be concerned not about detours but certainly about delays. Can someone tell me what hotel opened along that route? Any 163 arriving at Central Avenue after 8:30 am is jam packed with tons of tourists and the bus is often late. In the past the bus was always late but hardly ever standing room only. If only 5% of the prospective Pineles Hospital employees will be living in 07601 can we anticipate that of the other 95% some will come by bus once they learn of the parking shortage.

Now we commuters need to start thinking about all of these employees of the Pineles Hospital getting off work at 7 am and jumping on the 162 bus. I no longer live across from the 1st stop on Prospect so Grrrrr! Also, not loving getting to the Port Authority after work and having to stand on a line made longer by visitors coming to visit the long term care patients and then having to stand in the bus aisle all the way home - wahhhh!

Commuters you can't avoid it so make sure that you come to the next meeting on Wednesday September 23 at 7 pm. You know who I'm talking about you people who get on the 162 bus at Beech Street. Remember how many 162s did not stop for you because there was standing room only and how long it took NJTransit to add more 162s so that you could finally stand like a sardine all the way to New York.

Offline bergen07601

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
RENTERS, those of you who are NJT #162 bus riders -- here's good reason to attend the upcoming meetings and voice your objection to this proposed glass tower.
BEWARE --- For more than at least 10 years, NJ Transit's primary bus route from Hackensack to NY City has been the #163 bus. Many riders feel the 162 is merely the step child since, among other things, repeated requests for additional 162 buses have fallen on deaf ears.
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if, one day soon, the 162 bus line is actually terminated. So, for those of you resident-commuters who rent, specially those of you who live between Passaic and Golf on Prospect, those of you who usually don't have to worry about standing, don't say you didn't know it would happen, because it will. It's not like the 162 will run along Passaic and Central on Summit either. You will be forced to walk a long distance to get to Summit and Central.
I see this happening:- Once construction begins, besides the construction itself that will seriously hinder buses from running smoothly on Prospect,  those renters, who have the option, are likely to move away resulting in a drop in commuter ridership, resulting in cutbacks in the number of 162 buses and being re-routed for lack of ridership. Of course, when the Bergen-Passaic LTACH is finally operational: expect even lesser ridership (possibly because LTACH employees will find it quite convenient to live in these rental buildings); expect the area to change causing less interest from potential new comers to the area; expect increased traffic which will likely lead to the 162 bus route to be terminated eventually.
So RENTERS, treat this seriously, please attend the Zoning Board hearing on September 23rd for yourself and the Prospect Avenue community, and voice your vehement objections.

Also these overcrowded 163 buses pick up large tourist groups from the Ramada in Rochelle Park. That is the reason commuters getting on at the 1st stop on Summit and Central have to stand. For those of you who do not know what its like getting on at that stop, let me tell you -- there is no line or any method to the madness there.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2009, 07:05:13 AM »
This might be somewhat of a stretch to get renters to attend the meeting. 

May I suggest some other issues that more directly affect them

(1) Complete loss of street parking on Prospect, Summit, and even on portions of Maple Hill Drive, because the street parking will be taken by all the visitors to the patients at this facility.  Just as HUMC casts a huge shadow on the neighborhood in terms of parking, so shall this facility.  There will be no where to park anywhere near it for your visitors, or for you if you don't currently have an onsite parking spot.

(2) Traffic congestion, especially at Summit & Passaic, and again at Summit & Central.  In fact, generally up and down Summit Ave.

(3) Loss of view

(4) Quality of life disruptions during construction such as street closings, muddy run-off, noise starting in the early AM hours.

Also, the County has been looking for excuses since at least the 1980's to widen Summit Avenue.  This facility will push the street over the limit, and it will have to be widened.  This could come at the expense of street parking, or strips of front lawns will be taken.

Offline elizabeth

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »
How about another nightmare if this monstrosity is allowed to be built--- flooding in the underground garages of certain buildings(which already have flood issues) There is a stream underground between Central Ave and Berry St....if Pineles starts underground blasting and demolition for his 5 level underground garage, think what this disruption could do to the existing garages! I, for one, do not want to see my car damaged from water which will seep into these garages even more than what is happening now.
Spread the word- ATTEND THE ZONING BOARD MEETING ON THE 23rd........this LTACH affects everyone- renters and owners....we must stay diligent in opposing this building.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2009, 08:23:38 AM »
I've been an activist for over 20 years.  Renters have a different set of concerns.  Once in a while you'll find one who is really community-minded, but for the most part their concerns are only what directly affects THEM and their quality of life. THey absolutely could care less about property values, or the long-term effect of zoning being compromised, such as what will happen to Summit Ave in 5, 10, or 20 years.

Because their attitude is that they are "from" Hackensack, that they are just living here for this time period of their life.

I was outside of Hackensack and got to talking with a couple who rented in The Excelsior on Prospect Ave.  They went to great pains to explain, that they don't "live" in Hackensack, but they are "staying" in Hackensack at The Excelsior.  After refrasing the question several times, yes, they had a one-year lease and that was their only place of residence. And they had been there for 4 years.  And then they explained in detail that they aren't born and raised in Hackensack and that "we are not really in Hackensack, its' just that the street where we are staying is technically within the borders of Hackensack, but it is much better than the rest of Hackensack." Then I told them I was born and raised in Hackensack and love the city, and all the uniquely different parts of Hackensack.  They were shocked.

It's hard to get these types to be concerned with the community or zoning matters.  Hit them with parking garage flooding, noise, parking, loss of their view, etc., those types of issues.  Basically with selfish things.

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2009, 06:42:09 AM »
Wednesday September 23, 2009 at 7 pm
Fourth Hackensack Zoning Board Special Meeting
City Hall 3rd floor auditorium at 65 Central Avenue

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:12:55 AM by swapcatsr »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2009, 07:40:27 PM »
Do you think this is the FINAL hearing, or will it likely continue to next month

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2009, 10:41:56 PM »
#6282 I find it unlikely that this would be the last Special Zoning Board Meeting. During the July 2009 Third Special Zoning Board Meeting it was recommended that the architect go home do some homework and report back on Wednesday September 23rd to be questioned by Ditkas and Associates. I imagine this line of questioning to go on for at least an hour if not more.

Next up to bat will be either the engineer or the traffic expert. Should either one of them get a turn at the mic the residents and/or Ditkas and Associates will line up as they have been doing first with Pineles and then with the architect to question each expert. We need people to stay to the end of the night just in case the Zoning Board asks residents to come forward and leave their name/address so that they can ask questions of either the engineer or traffic expert at the beginning of the next Special Zoning Board meeting, if one is called.

Everyone please go up and leave your name. If you get stage fright you can always bail out or we can provide you with one or two questions to ask that will make you look like you just came off an episode of The Practice. Email PROSPECTAVENUECOALITION@YAHOO.COM

Residents you have been doing a great job! do not let us down tomorrow night!

I am looking into this underground stream issue which I have heard about as well and can only say that if there is any possibility that the removal of 5 stories worth of dirt from the prosposed site could turn this stream into a raging underground river and my car could suffer flood damage I will pack my bags and get the heck out of here before he breaks ground. During Hurricane Floyd we were taking on water even here high on the hill. I was running downstairs every 15 minutes asking "Should I move my car to higher ground now??!!"

Now that is an equal opportunity hurt that will devastate renter and land owner alike.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:51:15 AM by swapcatsr »

Offline bergen07601

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2009, 12:10:42 AM »
What we need is consistent support in large numbers to be both seen and heard at the Zoning Board (ZB) meetings. Of course, it would be helpful if renters take an interest in this cause, but if only EVERY homeowner conscientiously showed up at EVERY hearing - tomorrow's and future ones, we could continue to make a strong statement of objection to this project.

Remember, the idea here is that even if we were to succeed at this stage - i.e. the ZB denies the application,  (keep your fingers crossed), then Pineles will take this up at the next stage in Superior Court. Let's say, (keep your fingers crossed) he loses at this level, he then appeals to the higher court. The only thing that will be considered at that stage is the transcript from the ZB hearings.

So if it is not clear to residents yet, this is where it counts to be heard -- every recorded word in the transcript matters. So every home owner, show up at the hearing, count for something, let's not count on transitory residents - here today and gone tomorrow, and don't rely on your neighbor showing up either -- this is not the time to get complacent about this issue. If we do nothing else, putting up a fight will help extend this process a longer time and cost Pineles $$$. If nothing else, let's not let him walk all over us -- help make this process be a long drawn out one. We can buy at least 2 years more.

Here are some thoughts to get us through this fight:

“Winning isn't everything, but the will to win is everything” ;

“Courage is as often the outcome of despair as of hope; in the one case we have nothing to lose, in the other, everything to gain”            

SEE YOU THERE.  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 01:14:00 PM by bergen07601 »

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2009, 10:44:38 PM »
#6374 This is it folks! The last Hackensack Special Zoning Board meeting to hear the Richard Pineles application to build a hospital on Prospect/Summit Avenues. Traffic expert is next up to bat. Let's pack the room.

SAVE THE DATE - THURSDAY OCTOBER 15TH AT 7 PM
3RD FL AUDITORIUM CITY HALL AT 65 CENTRAL AVENUE
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:52:05 AM by swapcatsr »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2009, 02:45:53 PM »
Great, please approach the Mayor & Council and get them to start the process to declare Summit Ave a historic district.  It might take a while for State recognition, and might not get national recognition, but you don't know what DEFENSE is going to win this in the end.  Make it like an onion with layers.  The developer might pierce through one layer, but then there is another, and another, and another.  A historic district is an important onion layer.  The appeals and litigation is going to go on for at least FIVE YEARS.  You can get the historic district in 3 months or less, if the local mayor & Council is receptive.  And it seems that they are on your side.

Some suggestions for the final push to get people to attend, besides updating your website.

(1) make sure you INUNDATE the neighborhood with flyers saying "THIS IS IT", with a photo of the project that's on your website.  Do TRIPLE the amount you've previously done, hitting more streets and further away.  Make sure to hit every single family home between The Esplanade and Prospect Ave, all the little side streets and of course Summit Ave.  Also hit Summit Ave from Passaic Street right up to Spring Valley Ave.  One person can walk that, both sides, in 2 hours or less. How about the side streets from Prospect to Summit north of Passaic Street, certainly Hamilton and ANderson, and preferrably up to Clinton Place.

(2) Go door-to-door on Summit Ave within a few blocks of the site.

(3) Take a full-page ad in The County Seat.  Shoot for 10/15 edition, which means the ad has to be submitted within a week or so of today

(4) Make sure the entire Mayor & Council is there

(5) If you haven't networked with Temple Beth-El and United Methodist, do it now

(6) Make sure there is newspaper coverage from all regional newspapers, including NY Times and Star Ledger.  Try and get TV coverage, at least News 12 New Jersey.

anything