Author Topic: 24-story tower for Summit Avenue  (Read 294084 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: 24-story tower for Summit Avenue
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2009, 07:28:50 PM »
24-story medical facility proposed in Hackensack
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
BY MONSY ALVARADO
NorthJersey.com
STAFF WRITER

HACKENSACK — The owner of two nursing homes in the city wants to build a 24-story acute-care facility on Prospect Avenue, and nearby residents are worried that it will bring additional traffic.

Bergen Passaic Long Term Acute Care Hospital LLC, whose president is Richard Pineles, is seeking site-plan approval for the project, which will have a ground floor of 7,250 square feet, city officials said.

The proposal also includes driveways and a parking garage. The property, occupied currently by a residential home at 329 Prospect Avenue, was bought by the company in 2007 for $1.33 million, according to deed records.

The area is zoned residential, and the neighborhood is mostly made up of multi-story residential buildings. Prospect Height Care Center, a 180-bed facility that is owned by Pineles, is close by.

Barbara Rubin, who lives across the street from the proposed site, said the area already has too much traffic and can't afford any more.

"This street has trees and the people just walk around, and it's just lovely,'' Rubin said.

"I don't understand how they think they can get away with this."

According to a notice sent to area neighbors, the developer is seeking several variances, including use, because the site is zoned for residential and multi-family dwellings.

Pineles, who is listed as president of Regent Care Center on Polifly Road as well, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Mellone said the application is scheduled to be heard tonight but that the Board of Adjustment will likely not get to it because of a busy agenda.

The board will meet at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 65 Central Ave.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 01:11:07 PM »
The Record, of course, continues their tradition of reporting only part of the story.  That's why people are sick of The Record. They made no mention that most of the property is on Summit Ave. That's the big news, of course.

HUMC is their biggest advertiser, so they were totally supportive of the Cancer Center.  Unsure if these nursing homes advertise in The Record, but if they do, expect all news coverage to be slanted.  Those in Hackensack long enough recall how slanted their coverage was of the proposed condos in Borg's Woods, which they owned.  I can't wait till The Record is out of Hackensack. 

Offline Prospect Avenue Coalition

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »
Here is the meeting notice for the City Council Meeting to update interested residents on the Excelsior III goings on. Don't forget that many of us voted in the Council based on their promise that they would resist the existing Excelsior III plan. Please attend and at the end you may get a chance to speak your mind on the Acute Care Center. As with Excelsior III it took an incredible amount of organizing on Bill Noonan and Concern for Hackensack's part to get this job done but you can see that several years after we declared defeat of the project it continues to go on. Does anyone think that a developer desperate and foolhardy enough to build a tower over the railroad tracks would give up so easily. They may have sold the house on American Legion but that doesn't mean that they have pulled up stakes and gone home. The only way to win this fight and the next one is to show the Mayor the power that you do have - your vote:

Dear all:

One week from tonight (Thurs Feb 26), 7Pm at the Civic Center, the City Council will host a meeting to discuss the status P. C. Air Rights and their intended development of Excelsior III.
It is really important that we have a large turn out to show our continued opposition to this over development.
I believe we all know that apathy will send the wrong message.
Please spread the word and get as many people there as possible.
If you need a Meeting Reminder Notice to post, please just email me and tell me how many you need.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 12:56:00 AM »
Bill,

Thank you so much for your leadership and for your continued vigilence, over so many years.

Also, what's missing in this debate is the overall picture of where we want development in Hackensack.  If Summit Ave is "rezoned by variance", it will wind up rezoned for real.  In fact, that's what happened to Prospect Ave.  The Whitehall came in by variance around 1960, and then 5 years later they rezoned the street accordingly.

If this goes through, no doubt a great many developers will swarm upon Summit Avenue from Essex to Passaic over the next 20 years (the economy won't stay down forever).  They'll be focussing on Summit Ave instead of in the downtown area.  Especially developers who want to build in Hackensack, but can only do one major project at a time.

We really need development on State Street, on Union Street, along the river, etc. Hackensack is a city, we can't stop big development, nor should we.  But we do have an obligation to DIRECT it into the areas that we desire to be redeveloped.  That's what zoning and planning is all about, and that is why this particular application is perhaps the most offensive proposal to ever come before the Zoning Board of Adjustment in the history of Hackensack. (I must admit that the 1963 Co-Op city proposal on South River Street just north of Route 80 runs a close second).

We do have an obligation to preserve our historic homes.  We do have an obligation to minimize loss of views, and minimize traffic congestion where we are already maxed out.  I wish someone would post the Mission / Purpose of the Hackensack Master Plan, that sums up a lot of issues. Does anybody doubt that Summit Ave is already maxed out on traffic capacity, due simply to the proximity of HUMC and Prospect Ave

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »
Don't forget we are minutes away from that horror traffic show - the Garden State Plaza now tricked out with movie theater. How CRAZY is that. During the holiday I don't even drive in that direction. Only get on Rt 17 on Sunday. I have an anxiety attack whenever they try to repeal the blue laws.

I agree that it is time to develop other areas of Hackensack sorely in need of increased traffic flow. I like the seedy area by the Anderson train station along Passaic Street.

Here is a meeting notice reminder from Bill Noonan for the Thursday, Feb 26 City Council Meeting:

Dear all:

Just a reminder about the meeting this Thursday at the Civic Center at 7:00 PM. The City council will give us the latest on the 6 year struggle against the developer of Excelsior III, P.C. Air Rights. The latest information that we have makes it even more imperative that we show up in large numbers.
P.C. Air Rights is appealing the latest lower court ruling. The importance of this meeting takes on even more significance, as I am sure that the City has spent a large amount of money in legal fees to fight what would be another source of revenues and in these economic times the temptation for their resolve to weaken, I'm sure is being tested.
So Please do all you can to contact everyone in your building to make sure that they know about the meeting and it's importance. If you need anything, just email me and I will see that you get what ever you need.

No matter what the council has to say we must display our resolve and show them by our numbers that we will never give up our fight.

Thank you for your help,

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 08:08:17 AM »
I attended the February 26 meeting with the City Council and the Acute Care project was discussed at length. Some things to note: 1. there is an area down by Hackensack Hospital specifically zoned for the type of project that they want to build but I suspect that the builder got those houses relatively cheaply similar to the Excelsior III acquisition of land 2. the builder will get a certificate of inherent beneficial use quite easily making your fight a lot harder and more about reducing the scale of the building and underground parking (7 levels) than making them go away 3. an organized petition drive is going on right now 4. the City Council has to physically see you come out against this project or in a short time you will be sitting in your car idling on Prospect Avenue for a long long time.

City of Hackensack Zoning Board meeting on the 3rd Wednesday of the month and this project will come up for review again on April 22 at 7 pm at 65 Central Avenue. Be there and make your voice heard.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:37 AM »
Are they petitioning the Zoning Board or the Mayor & Council ????

Someone PLEASE tell the petitions that the Zoning Board of Adjustment has never, and will never accept petitions. Especially after the applicant's attorney objects to it.  I've seen this happen several times, including a petition against the HUMC Parking tower on Railroad and Atlantic Avenues. 

Petitioning the Mayor & Council is a good idea, and it doesn't matter if the petitioners support the administration or not.  The Council and city attorney will take the standard response, which is that it is illegal for them to meddle in an application to the Zoning Board.  Technically they are right, and they have to make this standard response. 

But if it is a big petition to the Mayor & Council, the message will be sent loud and clear.  Politicizing the issue is probably the best way of defeating the project.  I've seen that done several times as well.  Including Excelsior III.  The opposing candidates for Mayor & Council were tripping over each other to state that they were the best qualified to oppose the project.

Hey, there's an election campaign going on right now.  Oooh, how timely.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 08:19:08 AM »
I've got the petition and it is a petition to the Mayor and City Council. They would like to see the completed petition at the Zoning Board meeting on the third Wednesday in April not April 22 as I first thought. They also want to see the people come out so be there on April 15th at 65 Central Avenue.

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 12:26:02 AM »
The petitions have been circulated to most of the buildings on Prospect Avenue.

There will be a Town Hall meeting on Monday, April 13th at 7pm at the Civic Center on 65 Central Avenue behind the Police Station.

The Zoning Board meeting is on Wednesday, April 15th at 7pm in Council Chambers in City Hall at 65 Central Avenue.

If you want to show your opposition to the Acute Care project which will be located on Summit and Prospect Avenues please attend both of these meetings if possible.

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 08:23:35 AM »
We need your support at the Zoning Board Meeting (City Hall) at 65 Central Avenue on Wednesday, April 15th 7pm.

Please get the word out to your neighbors here and in the other buildings. You can also receive up to date information at the following website:

http://www.preservehackensack.com/home.html

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 08:13:33 AM »
Hackensack Zoning Board has called a special meeting for Thursday, May 14 at 7 pm at City Hall 65 Central Avenue 3rd floor auditorium to hear the testimony for the Acute Care Center. At times it gets very cold in there so bring a sweater or a coat.

It is imperative that all who oppose this project attend the Special Meeting. Be informed. It is your job to question and challenge the testimony of the applicant's expert witnesses.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:08:19 AM by swapcatsr »

Offline Whitey

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 02:37:48 PM »
Highlights of Bergen Passaic LTAC April 15 hearing

The hearing was limited to testimony by the applicant, Mr. Richard Pineles and to questions from the zoning board and the audience.  The hearing ended at 10:30 PM and will be continued at a special meeting on May 14.  The first order of business is expected to be continued questioning of Mr. Pineles.  Some highlights from the meeting:

The proposed LTAC would occupy 12 stories and would accommodate 144 inpatient beds.  The applicant presented a certificate of need to the board.  It was noted that the certificate was for 72 beds and not for the 144 beds proposed.  This issue was not resolved.

The top 4 stories would house an 84 patient dialysis center.  The center would operate from 6:00 AM to 5:30 PM, 6 days per week and could handle about 250 patients a day.  Assuming that as many as 20-25 patients per day are residents of the LTAC facility, that leaves some 225 patients per day to be transported to the facility.  Logistics of the transportation have not yet been discussed in detail.

In addition to these activities, the facility would have a medical adult day care facility with a capacity of 250 clients at any time.  This program would operate from 7:30 AM to 5:30 PM, 6 days a week.  Logistics of the transportation of these clients remains to be discussed in detail.

The applicant indicated the facility would employee some 500 people, both on day and shift work and that these employees would be assigned to park in the on site 5-story below grade garage.  When questioned about employee parking at Prospect West (336 Prospect Ave), the applicant admitted that there was insufficient parking and that employees were required to park nearby on the street, but that would not be the case for this facility.

I encourage others to add their observations.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 11:14:49 AM »
Are you saying that that the 24 story plan is down to 16 stories ?  Also what is the actual height. 

Residential construction is usually 8 foot ceilings, plus a little floor and ceiling, say it comes to 8.5 feet per story. Office and medical construction usually has 8-10 foot ceilings, and has a huge drop ceiling at least 4 feet thick above each drop ceiling for HVAC systems.   So Maybe each floor is 13 - 15 feet.  Do the math.  A 16 story commercial building might be as tall, or taller, than a 25 story residential building.

I believe that the 21-story Camelot at 245 Prospect Ave is the tallest existing building on Prospect Ave, and the 25-story tower on Overlook Ave is the tallest building in Hackensack .

I think this 16 story building, for medical use, would still be the tallest building on Prospect Ave, and possibly the tallest building in Hackensack.

Offline SackResident

• View Profile
Intersesting!
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 12:25:51 AM »
Spoke to some friends of mine over the weekend who are legal eagles. They had some very interesting information on this acute care center going up. They pointed out to me that it was very strange for a City Council to come out and show their opposition to a project such as this before the application was in. They knew all about the two meetings we had and the fact that the council spoke at the zoning board meeting prior to the application being presented. I thought this was a good thing as being a condo owner in town I don't want this thing going up in my nieghborhood. They told me it was anything but good and the city may have caused some serious damage in the attempt to stop the project. They explained to me that by coming out against the building before the application was presented they showed extreme prejudice against the applicant. By doing so the applicants attorney can use this against us and could very well get this application through. I was dumbfounded to think our attorneys could have dropped the ball on this. I told them there was no way seasoned attorneys could have let that happen and thats when I really got surprised. They told me that since the applicant had already secured the properties and has met the State requirements and the fact they could show inherrant need the building was most likely going to go up. He said the City most likey knew this and these meetings were nothing more than political grandstanding for the upcoming election. I am disheartened if this is the case. If this nonsense about showing prejudice against the applicant is true then why else would they go ahead and do it. I feel we may have been had and another building that we did not want is going up. As we know the attorney for these guys is the same guy who represents the hospital on many of their development projects. I have read some of the previous post about signing a petition and I thought back to this EMS issue we jsut had recently. The folks supporting the EMT's gathered over 1200 or so signatures and were told by the council that the city does not acknowledge pettions due to the type of government we have here in Hackensack. If that is true why are they telling us to get a petition together. We need to check this out. Can someone find out if the city can be petioned or not? Thanks

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 01:14:27 AM »
SackResident: you are heavy on conjecture and light on fact.  Looking at your prior post, it's clear who you support in the upcoming election. 

And you're accusing the current administration of politicizing this issue? Now that's interesting

« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 02:13:21 AM by Editor »