Author Topic: blighted houses cleared on Gamewell Place  (Read 4546 times)

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
blighted houses cleared on Gamewell Place
« on: February 14, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »
As I was driving around Hackensack today 'just watching', I noticed that a cluster of burned and blighted houses on the south side of Gamewell Place just west of Union Street has been leveled very recently.  There's a temporary construction fence completely around one house still standing, so  that one is coming down too. Also leveled was one house adjacent house on South Park Street.  There was a fire recently, one house on Gamewell was gutted and ones on either side damaged.

I think it's 5 houses total which are gone, all of which are late 1800's housing stock, and all were in shabby condition subdivided into rentals. I'm sure that there were at least 20 apartments, mostly very small.  Probably not a single owner-occupied unit.

These were just about the worst cluster of houses in the entire city.  The burned pink boarding house on 211 Passaic Street was torn down less than a year ago, that was worse but it's already gone.  Also gone about a year ago are the two "hell houses of Myer Street", which is now a condominium nearing completion.  Also gone is the burned house on South State Street near Kansas Street, and the boarded up white monstrosity on Hackensack Ave across from Target.  It's amazing how all the oldest and most disgusting houses in Hackensack are disappearing, mostly by fire and demolition.  Let's keep it coming

It seems that all we have to do is think about it, and they disappear. Crazy theory, but if it's true, let's all start thinking about the corner of Kansas and Green Streets behind the Conklin Home. And how about Fair Street just off Essex.  Hey, you never know.

Does anyone know what is planned for the Gamewell Place lot ????

Offline itsme

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: blighted houses cleared on Gamewell Place
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
You are correct, the leveling of those houses will likely probably make a positive difference to that neighborhood.  Just so you know, it is Gamewell Street, not place. 

anything