Author Topic: Temple Avenue/Cork Street/Cross Street  (Read 9681 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Temple Avenue/Cork Street/Cross Street
« on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:20 PM »
Somebody pointed out to me that Temple Avneue was called "Cork Street" in 1896.  It appears as "Cork" on the 1896 Map.  Does anyone know what Cork was named for?  County Cork, Ireland, perhaps?

It also appears the street may have been called Cross Street at some point.

Also, why was it eventually named "Temple Avenue"?

Please follow up with any information. 

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
Re: Temple Avenue/Cork Street/Cross Street
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:08:37 PM »
 I remember seeing in an old Atlas I had - I believe 1876 - that what is now Voorhis Lane ( not to be confused with Voorhis Pl - where the Poiten Still is ) was called Cross St in those days.

I loaned the book to someone and moved away without returning it !

I belive it was an Atlas of Bergen County - you may want to check that out !

Skip

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 12:43:23 AM »
To my knowledge there has never been a house of worship on that street.  I think TEMPLE was somebody's last name.

Note that the block parallel to Temple Ave (alias Cork Street), northwards, is called Emerald Place, or Emerald Street.  Definately a connection with Ireland regarding these street names.  The area is believed to have been majority-Irish back when most of the houses were built, early 1900's.  It was known as a blue-collar, working-class neighborhood, with many local residents working in the wallpaper factory that later became Packards.

Around the 1920's, the part of the Fairmount Community west of Main Street also had some Irish, but may have been as much as 80% or 90% white-Protestant population.  A great many persons of English, Scottish, Dutch, German, and Scandinavian ancestry (or some combination thereof) lived west of Main Street all the way to the Maywood and Paramus borders.  This concentration slowly diminished with the arrival of more Irish. At some point the Irish were considered to be part of the majority population, unsure when that happened, but it was way before my time.  But at no point was the neighborhood over half Irish.  Not even on Willow and Catalpa Avenues where there were the most Irish. 

The same pattern repeated with Italians, who only started coming to the Fairmount section after World War II. By the 1960's the influx was strong, and by the late 1970's, most of the houses selling went to Italian families. There was sort of an Italian "high tide" that came in, peaked, and began diminishing by 1990.  There was also a much lesser influx of Jewish families after WWII, but for the most part it was only on or within one block of Summit Avenue.

I grew up in the Fairmount Section in the 1970's, and even then there were quite a few older residents who resented what they called an "invasion" of Italian families. I can remember neighbors gossiping about it to my parents, who didn't consider it to be an enormous problem, because all of us were white.  Looking back, the whole matter seems even more absurd. 

Offline semafore

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
This reply to a question about paper mills in the Bergen County Historical Society General Discussion about local history seems to point to A. E. Temple as the source of the name Temple Avenue.

(http://bergencountyhistory.org/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=ee213ab5aa1f3550bb15bb0b74faa2fe&/topic,201.msg363.html#msg363)

"Men started work on building the Campbell Wall Paper Factory in Fairmount, Hackensack, in June 1900. In November 1900, William Campbell & Company, manufacturers of wall paper, with their principal office at Hackensack Avenue and Cork Street under management of Adelbert E. Temple, filed articles of incorporation with a capital stock of $650,000. The incorporators were: James H. Temple, 4 shares; James H. Temple, Jr., 1 share, both of Huntington, New York; Robert J. Dyatt, 3 shares; George W. Humphreys, 1 share; both of New York; A. E. Temple of Hackenack, 1 share."

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 04:04:31 PM »
Now we also know where Dyatt Place came from. And where is Dyatt Place? Just north of Temple Avenue.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 04:10:37 PM »
Wow!  I had read that thread previously and didn't make the connection.  Thanks so much.

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »
Dyatt Pl is one block south of Temple on the east side of Hackensak Ave where the Gas Station is across from the Target store.

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 04:19:57 PM »
I stand corrected on my compass heading.

anything