Author Topic: George Stimmel Art Found In Trash  (Read 7674 times)

Offline stuflady

• View Profile
George Stimmel Art Found In Trash
« on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:17 PM »
  I am a long time yard sale addict and dumpster diver.  Usually when make a “find”, I usually have some idea what I have found.  But not this time.  Let me explain:

A few weeks ago I found what I think is an original George Stimmel painting.  I found it in a box with some other materials belonging to the Stimmel family that was destined for the trash.  I believe it may be a watercolor over a lithograph, but my art savvy is minimal and I may not know what I am talking about.  The signature is in pencil. I see no date.  The picture is on a  8.5 x 11 piece of heavy paper and the picture measures 5.5 by 6.0 inches. 

I would appreciate any information anyone can give me about who may be interesting in talking to me about this picture, if it is an original, where the scene is located, etc. Your first thought is probably, “Why doesn't she take it to someone locally?”  The reason is that I live in a rural part of the country where such resources are not readily available.  I have attached a scan of the picture. 

Thank you for any assistance you can be in this matter.   
Patricia L. James

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: George Stimmel Art Found In Trash
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:21:07 PM »
Hello, Patricia.

I'm no Stimmel expert, but the first thing I noticed was the signature, "George Stimmel". If you search "stimmel' on this site, you'll find a couple of discussions - usually relating to local scenes of his.

With one exception, the signatures were all "G. Stimmel", followed by a two-digit year. The exception was one that said, "Geo. Stimmel", but none of them said "George Stimmel".

I looked in Google Images and found a variety of signatures, including a couple of "George Stimmel"s - a sig that seems to only appear on landscape/scenery watercolors like yours. I have no idea where your scene is located.

You can do online searches for galleries that sell his work - maybe they can help you.

I sold a Stimmel on eBay and got around $150. I've seen the same image get zero bids when priced under $100...........and that's for a highly-recognizable local scene.
Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

anything