Author Topic: Yesterday's spectacular rainbow  (Read 3663 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Yesterday's spectacular rainbow
« on: May 16, 2016, 07:45:16 PM »
I hope you saw it.

I noticed it at around 7:20pm. I don't know how long it was there before that, but it was a complete, end-to-end double rainbow (1) that was among the brightest, closest and most colorful ones I've ever seen (2).

A slight, moisture-laden bit of fog was still over us as the sun popped out from behind the clouds when I started shooting at 7:22 and that illuminated every water molecule in that fog for about 2 more minutes before the fog rushed east and the rainbow faded.

When I first saw it from my LR, I couldn't get the whole rainbow in the frame, so I decided to go out onto the roof and try from a little further back. By the time I got out there, the fog had moved and the entire top part of the arc was gone, so I shot what was left - the ends (3, 4).

As it started to fade, I realized that if I moved to another part of the roof, I could "place" the rainbow behind the Sears tower (5), whose flag was at half-staff (and had been since Friday). I really like  the image, but it seems to show a mixed message - something happy and something sad.

And why was the flag at half-staff anyway? I wasn't aware that anyone of national significance had died, so I called Sears today and was told that Sears Corporate had ordered that their flags be flown at half-staff in conjunction with the 35th Annual National Peace Officers' Memorial Service, which was held at the Capitol building in Washington, DC yesterday. Since Sears was closed yesterday, they lowered it on Friday. Not a single other flag in the neighborhood was lowered, so kudos to Sears.

Back to the pix: If you look at the trees in the last picture and compare them with the ones in the first or second picture, you can see that the fogginess is gone - along with most of the rainbow. That last picture was taken at 7:26, so if you weren't looking east between 7:15 and 7:30, you missed a cool sight.

As always, click to enlarge.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness