Author Topic: The makeover of the E municipal parking lot  (Read 1321 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: The makeover of the E municipal parking lot - 5-24,25,27-21
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2021, 01:45:07 PM »
There hasn't been any full-scale work going on during the last week, but occasionally someone comes by to either pick up no-longer-needed things or drop off large vehicles needed for the next stage. Since it's Memorial Day Weekend, I'm guessing that that next stage begins this Tuesday, June 1.

5-24-21

1-5. A two-man crew drove a truck in to pick up all the items used to create all the curbing and other cement components.

5-25-21

6. A slightly better attempt to get the entire lot in an iPhone panoramic image. I'll get there.

5-27-21

7-19. I saw an unusual vehicle on a truck parked on State St at the far end of the lot. I had never seen this type of vehicle here before, but I knew it was coming into the lot. This thing was huge and it looked like quite a job for one guy to get it off the truck and into the lot. Once I could read the side number on the vehicle, I looked it up. It's a 51', 80,000+lb cold planer (it mills asphalt). Apparently, it's time to get rid of the old parking lot surface and put in a new one.

I shot a video of what I thought would be the critical part of the move: getting the vehicle off the truck and having it make a sharp right turn into the lot:

The stills show before, during and after what the video shows. I went out during the afternoon to shoot some closeups, including an iPhone Pano shot (next-to-last image). The last image shows the vehicle's specs.

Click to enlarge.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: The makeover of the E municipal parking lot - 6-1-21
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2021, 03:21:31 PM »
They got real busy the day after Memorial Day. So did I. I was shooting and editing non-stop, all day long (and into the evening):

1. I took this at 6:36am - who can sleep when metal is LOUDLY scraping metal at that hour?

2. And look what came tumbling out of the bottom............standup mannequin legs!

3. Secret stash in a hidden compartment of the RX-700e

4. Suddenly-non-horizontal pieces of the E lot

5. The shovel brigade has its own water boy.

6. The giant toilet paper cardboard tube toss

7. This doesn't seem to be very productive: they took a securely-wrapped quantity of bricks and spent a lot of time moving them one by one onto a wooden pallet which was then transported to the sidewalk on State St, where they've been sitting unsecured all this week by the Porto-Potty which also is now on that sidewalk.

8. The monster RX-700e makes a break for it onto State St. Is it a British product? The driver IS on the right side.

9. The aforementioned Porto-Potty gets moved onto the new State St sidewalk, where its brickly new friend will later move next door (or "next sidewalk slab").

10. It's amazing the shots you can get from 7 floors up..........

11. No idea what's going on here, but it's not a shot you see every day.

12. The Unusual Shapes and Sizes Break Area

13.  The milling gets off to a good start between the cold planer and the receiving truck when all of a sudden..........WHOOPS! It looks like a big mistake, but I was thrilled to get that second shot. I don't think I've ever seen something like that happen before, but to be in position - from my bedroom, no less - to get this shot just amazes me. It might be my favorite shot of this event..............so far.

14. More fooling around with the chewed-up asphalt flow................the first one's going into a truck, but what's the purpose of spewing it all over the ground?

15. The cold planer and its receiving truck take a break after the center stripe initial milling of the lot's asphalt.

16. A different angle from above..........

17. I saw the RX-700e driver throw empty gallon plastic bottles from his machine - what the hell was he doing? House-cleaning, apparently. He climbed down and proceeded to pick them all up, walk over to the western perimeter and deposit them all in what appears to be a plastic bag.

18. I took some PANO (panoramic) shots with the iPhone and am including two of them here taken at different stages of this busy day. The cold planer is on the far left getting ready to start milling the asphalt at 10:10am. The large number of trucks lining up assure a steady flow of receptacles, so the milling process is uninterrupted. The truck at the bottom is receiving dirt from the piles behind it.

19. At 3:48pm, everyone's gone for the day, but there's LOTS more to do tomorrow.

Click to enlarge...............especially the PANOs.

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: The makeover of the E municipal parking lot - 6-2-21
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2021, 01:00:09 PM »
1,2. Is this the gardener? The car wash guy?

3. No, it's the guy who drives the RX-700e, which has a huge water tank that was leaking like crazy when I got my first up-close look. Why does it need a water tank? Apparently, it's so the driver can hose down the lot - I'm guessing to keep the dust down (and to keep his friend's truck nice and clean).

4,5. Not sure what this is called, but it pounds the surface to  get the air out and compact it (the compacter?). All I know it that it sounds like a helicopter and it got me away from the computer more than once when I thought a chopper was overhead. In 5's background, it looked like someone had a yard sale table set up in the parking lot behind the 50 Passaic St business, but it turned out to be an impressive array of tools for the man in the purple shirt to work on his car with.

6. The red truck dumps a hot load.

7. You think I was kidding about it being HOT?

8. Shovel and rake it.

9. Throwing a shovelful to a needy area

10. Lunch time

11. Back to work

12. Two monsters on the sidelines

13,14. The truck dumps asphalt into the third monster, which deposits it and the crew evens it out.

15. The driver takes a break.

16. At the end of the day, look at the formation they left for me to shoot!

17,18. Can't resist a closer look at all this power.

19. The formal, end of the day PANO shot

Click to enlarge.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
Re: The makeover of the E municipal parking lot - 6-3 to 6-6-21
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2021, 05:20:08 PM »
These were taken over the last 4 days and bring things up to date.

June 3

1-3. Scrape, fill, move over one vehicle's width, rinse and repeat

4. A visit from the vehicle's dentist

5. Scrape and fill by State St

6,7. A new vehicle arrives. It's kinda like a street sweeper, but with a twist.

8. The sweeper brush directs the particles into an internal bin that rises into the air and tilts to the side to dump everything into a truck.

9. I think he's trying to scrape the top edge with the shovel.

10. Just before exiting the lot, the cover is brought up and over the contents.

11. As you can see it's been raining, so this looked slightly redundant.

12. After the dental appointment, the big red monster heads for its overnight parking spot.

13,14. I took a couple of PANO shots during the day (8:40am) and after everyone left (by 1pm).

15. A couple of hours later (3pm), the surface started to dry and it looked QUITE different.

June 4

16. The big red monster ships out just after 9am. No work on the lot today.

17. End of the day PANO shot taken just after 4pm when a nasty storm front moved in. You can tell that it's raining and that the front is moving from right to left (south to north).

June 5

18. Saturday - time to take the State St PANO shot

June 6

19. Sunday - I wanted a closer PANO shot. There appears to be only one vehicle on the lot.

20. Actually, there are two (one blocked the other from view). It appears that lot paving probably begins tomorrow.

Click to enlarge.

anything