General Category > Hackensack History

Packards Memories/Pictures I found in City Hall Basement

<< < (2/4) > >>

Editor:
More pictures I found at City Hall.  I wish they had exact dates.  Does anyone know?

Fire Station Central

Fire Station Main

Hackensack Hospital

YMCA

BJRED:
Kathleen when i read your reply on packards i started to laugh,  ahhh the escalator, so i see you to got into trouble riding that thing too huh i think they yelled at everyone..lol lol....just the smell of the place, the sawdust, the barbershop, green stamps, hair salon, well that was later on, i even ended up working there for awhile...I believe Mr Newman was my boss not really sure anymore it was so long ago, it was great.  I loved the hamburgers at the printroom as well, and of course i loved going into the garden where they sold all the flowers...great places in Hackensack we just don't appreciate it until its no longer there, how about B&W bakery....the best pecan ring and crumb cake...oh gosh i hear you on missing all the great places, nothing seems the same anymore....oh well..........life goes on.

Barry Dreikorn:
Kathlene,
I grew up on Emerald street and used to collect bottles to take back to Packards for a refund (2 cents for small bottles, 5 cents for large bottles).The biggest excitment in the late 1940s was the arrival of the Freedom Train which parked in Packards lot for one day and carried the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. There is an internet site that lists where the train was on every day of it's travels. As a 12-year-old I made money packing grocery bags at Packards and carrying them out to cars for tips. I made out famously. Labor laws were a little lax in those days. As an adult I marveled that, with the oil-soaked wooden floors in Packards that it never burned down!

Editor:
Freedom Train: http://www.freedomtrain.org/ft_timeline.html

Editor:
This is the image that Commerce Bank chose for a mural at their new branch on River Street.  The images is a street scene: State Street, near Banta Place.  Circa 1890.  It's a colorized photograph. 

Click here to see the image.

The image is provided courtesy of the Bergen County Historical Society

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version