General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Ode to Hackensack (Seriously)

<< < (3/3)

BlkVelvet:
Thank You Susan,for such a pleasant stroll down memory lane.Ive lived in Hackensack for 50plus years,i attended Beech Street school during the time change came to allow a broader mix of the races and the school i was sent to was Fanny M Hillers ,i then went on to then State Street school(middle school) then to Hackensack High.
I remember the movies theaters The Fox and The Oritani and Main Street and State Street were 2 way streets.
I also remember the many parades there was in Hackensack.being a brownie and girl scout i had the pleasure of being in a few.I HAVE SO MANY WONDERFUL MEMORIES ,THE GOOD ACTUALLY OUTWEIGHS THE BAD.
Hackensack is unique and special to everyone in there own special way ..i could go on and on and on about my life in Hackensack..but i wont do that...it is very nice sharing memories of a place so many have been a part of ...btw ..i grew up on Second Street
                                                                      BV@~>

johnny g:
I lived in Hackensack (before that So Hackensack) on Hudson St from 1978-86..then on New St from 1986-95, when I moved to NYC. I have many great memories of our city, including being ON Lodi St during the filming of Jersey Girl.
I went to Immaculate Conception school on Hudson St by Rt.80, and Bergen Tech high school (class of 85) had a few paper routes as a kid, and sampled some of the best Italian food from various deli's I ever had in my life. My neighborhood was very diverse, and I had a mixed bag of friends growing up, from all backgrounds. It was a simple time, and it was great.

Edwin:

--- Quote ---Hackensack may not have much outward aesthetique, much visible local color
--- End quote ---

Disagreed. While it may not have more modern construction, and that pristine, pretty look, like redevloped, expensive, yuppie areas like in Hoboken or Jersey City, it has that older, historic, Norman-Rockwell-painting look. Older buildings of actual brick construction, with the ornate masonry decorations attached at the tops of the buildings or over the doorways. The former is TOO pretty, and comes across as "fake" and/or cloying somehow. I mean, I like it too, but I kind of prefer the latter look. Westwood and Tenafly also have it (the latter), and Bergen county in general has that look in all the downtown areas. Has more character.

Of course one of the biggest things is livability. You've got the train*. And Costco, and international food warehouse over the hill in Lodi, Anderson Street market and Giant Farmer's market also have some ethnic foods, the restaurants, a few gyms, riverside square mall, at least one furniture store, etc. Half these things are walking distance from one of the train stations*, which is great because you can avoid driving

*the train really is far better than any other public transportation. The buses or NYC's subways are no comparison. They're all on old freight lines, so the tracks and thus the travel path are very smooth, and it isn't rapid-transit so it doesn't stop/start hard. The ride is EXTREMELY smooth. Plus it's roomy since there are so many cars and so many seats, you can sit peacefully and privately. Plus the huge engines provide great climate control inside. Plus the sheer size combined with the gravel-bed track (also the lack of a need to go fast and change tracks since again it's not like the subway, it's not rapid transit), makes it also a really quiet ride. Plus, you're above ground, so you get a great view with the gentle rolling motion of the train. And moreover, it isn't driving. I hate driving.

Driving the is most convenient form of travel, but by far the least fun/most annoying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version