General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Ode to Hackensack (Seriously)

<< < (2/3) > >>

nataliemcdonald:
I agree.  I lived in Hackensack for 30 years on Prospect Avenue.  I went to Holy Trinity School, Hackensack Middle School, Hackensack High School and Fairleigh Dickinson University.  My little girl's father still lives in Hackensack, but I followed a different path that led me to Massachusetts and now Louisiana.  I am extremely proud to be from Hackensack and I'm often quite homesick.  I'm glad I found this board -- Happy New Year to all!!

prospectgirl:
Good Morning...I am hoping you will be interested in sharing memories of your 30 years on Prospect Avenue. If you read my posts you will learn that I lived in one of the "lesser" mansions on the Avenue throughout my childhood years. I attended Fanny Meyers Hillers for kindergarten and then Holy Trinity- well before they built the new school.The building drive, however, was ongoing through my entire elementary attendance. I think we all believed we would never see the new school actually come out of the ground. I am hoping we can share teacher names and experiences from Trinity. You are the age of some of my younger siblings (six children), so I am sure the old school would have been down by the time you started elementary. Am I right? I wonder if you know anything of the Maple Avenue inhabitants of old?

Hope you will engage in conversation with me. I miss Hackensack very much, too. Sadly, I believe "our" Hackensack is quite unlike the experience of its newest denizens. I am very excited about sharing info and memories of that time period.

P.S. Wasn't that essay posted by Susan Norton inspiring. I wish we could learn more about her, or even locate her. I would wager that she is closer to your age than mine. She has a clever breeziness to her writing style, doesn't  she? Tell me what she made you remember. For me, wow, I had forgotten all about the slate sidewalks. Do you remember playing hopscotch on them?

prospectgirl:
Editor...
Would you happen to know where to find Susan Norton? How did you first find her ? Have you ever have any other postings from her?
Her posting prompted me to join and yesterday I noticed a new member who had been inspired to join in the same way that I was. Does the "board" have a way to keep contact with Susan Norton???

Editor:
Sue is my sister.  She lives in Ireland and monitors this site periodically.  She's 44.

Editor:
Here's another article that defines our place in the universe:

The Hidden State of Culture
New Jersey often brings to mind pollution and shopping malls, but it's an epicenter of artistic talent

I like this paragraph in particular:

The glee that New Yorkers take in belittling their neighbors to the west is especially energetic. There are two reasons for this. First, people living in New York City are convinced that without New Jersey blocking their view, they would be able to see the rest of the country. Second, New Jerseyan Aaron Burr killed New Yorker Alexander Hamilton in a duel, the tragic consequence of negative remarks that Hamilton made behind Burr's back at a dinner party (probably something like: "Burr, that moron from New Jersey"). That Hamilton was gunned down on a Weehawken, N.J., cliff overlooking Manhattan's spectacular streets -- and not, say, on Fifth Avenue -- only added insult to injury. New Yorkers have a long memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version