Author Topic: 1984 Super-8 Film: Ronald Reagan in Hackensack  (Read 7359 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
1984 Super-8 Film: Ronald Reagan in Hackensack
« on: April 22, 2009, 12:35:00 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/1984-Super-8-Film-PRESIDENT-RONALD-REAGAN-Hackensack-NJ_W0QQitemZ280336239387QQihZ018QQcategoryZ21198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are no pictures, so here's the seller's description:

On this 3" reel of Super-8mm color home-shot film is about 2 or 3 minutes of an October 1984 Reagan/Bush rally that took place in Hackensack, New Jersey. I tried like crazy to capture some digital images of this film, but my camera made that very unsuccessful. Therefore I will explain exactly what is on this film.

It starts off with some downtown Hackensack scenes of the crowd gathering. You can see Reagan signs all over, an American flag hanging from a tall building, and the flag-draped stage with gathering New Jersey dignitaries (none of whom I can identify.) Then there is a shot of Reagan's helicopter circling above. (I'm assuming Reagan is in the helicopter.)

Then you can see the dignitaries standing in a line on the stage as Reagan enters, shaking hands with everyone and then approaching the microphone and speaking (of course this is not a sound film so you can't hear what he is saying.) You can certainly tell that it is Reagan on the stage, but I don't want you to think that the cameraman zoomed in enough to see details of him. You can not see facial details and if you didn't know what Reagan looked like and how he carried himself, you might not know for sure that it is him. But having lived through 8 years of Reagan as President there is no doubt that it is him in all his historical glory.

Very cool footage!

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: 1984 Super-8 Film: Ronald Reagan in Hackensack
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »
Ol' Homer just happened to be in attendance the day that Ronald Reagan came to Hackensack. He landed by helicopter at Foschini Park and addressed a rally on a stage that was set up on State Street in front of the "bridge" by the police station. The large American flag that the seller was talking about was borrowed from the Port Authority and hung in front of the former UJB building at 210 Main Street. This was done for security purposes since the stage was in the line of sight from the windows at 210 Main.
I was only able to find one picture out of the dozens that I took that day. Three of the people on the stage with the Prez were John Inganamort, former chairman of the Bergen County Republican Party, Arthur Jones, former Republican freeholder and Marge Roukema former Republican congresswoman.

The Civic Center was decorated like a living room so that Mr. Reagan could rest for a while either before or after his speech.

On the way back to Foschini Park, the motorcade traveled on Union Street and "coincidentally" a group of residents from Wellington Hall were sitting outside and the President stopped to say hello to them.

I will look for the rest of my photos and  get copies to the editor when I find them.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 09:58:05 AM »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 10:07:18 AM »
I love the last sentence of his speech - THE PRIME RATE CAME DOWN TO 12 EVEN.

Those were the good old days when banks would give you a TV set if you took out a CD with them. Now you're lucky if you get a free ballpoint pen that doesn't work.