General Category > Hackensack History

The "A Stroll Down Main Street" exhibit

<< < (3/3)

Editor:
Check this out. It's on the south wall of 151-153 Main. Woolworths was at 149 Main.

I'm posting it here as johnnyg asked about it 6+ years ago. (Better late than never).

This information is from the Bergen County Historic Site Survey which I converted into a walking tour document some years ago.

Second Marcus Jewelers. Constructed 1897. Architect: William Augustus Lambert. Style: Romanesque Revival. Facade: Pair of gablets with large, arched opening with projecting bay window (now gone) on 2nd story. The Odd Fellows Hall is an interesting, eclectic building with bold, round arched openings with conspicuous rock faced stone trim. In 1898, the building was described as "one of the finest in town". The building was erected in 1897 as the second hall for the oldest paternal lodge in Bergen County, founded in 1848. The U.S. Post Office was located her until 1910. In 1910, the stores were leased to J.G. McCrory & Co., five and dime store. The building as listed in Forbe's Key to the Architects of Greater New York of 1899, 1900 and 1901 as the only representative work of William Augustus Lambert who had offices in Manhattan until 1896 and lived in Hackensack. He designed a large number of houses in Hackensack.

(Thanks to Jeffrey Muller for alerting me.) 

johnny g:
Love it!! Thank you :))

Homer Jones:
It would be nice if we could get the developers to spring for a grand or so to put plaques on the historic buildings and sites downtown. The City did that back in the 1970’s during it’s early redevelopment efforts. There were plaques installed on the old bank building at Main and Mercer. Hopefully these plaques were saved.

Homer Jones:
That painted McCrory sign from yesterday’s post can be photographed and lasered onto a plaque. Wouldn’t that look fantastic?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version