General Category > Hackensack History

The "A Stroll Down Main Street" exhibit

<< < (2/3) > >>

Top of the Hill:
HHS72 is correct about the location of Lamstons. This was my first real job in 1974 as a 15 year old. Didn't have to produce any paperwork regarding my right to work, didn't have to prove I was a citizen, didn't have to show a work permit. Worked behind the luncheonette counter. Served coffee, cooked hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese sandwiches. Cleaned up afterwards. Washed pots in the basement, where there  was a small kitchen where the day cook/manager prepared the daily specials and soups. Behind the counter was a 2 sided griddle press that was used to make grill cheese sandwiches. The manager always complained about how we never got it clean enough. We used to scrub that thing like crazy. I remember he went on vacation for 2 weeks and nobody cleaned it. I thought his head was going to pop off. I started working there in early November and in late December employees got Christmas bonuses. Bonuses were based on how long you worked there. I never expected to receive a bonus, but to my surprise was called up to the office and presented with a bonus check of $1.65, of which I think I got to keep $1.01 after taxes. This job prepared me for my next 2 jobs as a dishwasher, first at Wellington Hall and then at Hackensack Hospital (it wasn't a medical center yet) where I earned almost $8 per hour. A lot of money for an after school job and they would give me about 25 hours a week.

The sporting goods store referred to by Prospect Girl was Cowan's. They used to sponsor a little league baseball team.

WarrenG:
"Awesome Packard's Christmas memories... just plain awesome... I concur!!!"  I also concur!!  Packard's was always a treat.  I somehow doubt the hot dogs and chocolate shakes from the snack bar under the escalator could really have been that good!  And for that special occasion the restaurant in front (was it Sam's?  The Green Room??) was the epitome of class (of course looking back, a restaurant in a department sore entry couldn't have been that classy!).

I clearly remember escaping to the 3rd floor to fantasize in the toy department while my mom did the more pedestrian grocery shopping downstairs.  Those shopping carts were pretty weak...  But at Christmas time, Packard's was a real fantasy world both outside and in!

BLeafe:

--- Quote from: WarrenG on May 27, 2010, 06:29:34 PM ---And for that special occasion the restaurant in front (was it Sam's?  The Green Room??) was the epitome of class.
--- End quote ---

I think you're referring to The Print Room.

WarrenG:
Yes, I do believe it was called 'The Print Room'.  I remember the windows into the Packard's entry were covered with white curtains to give it a little privacy, and the tables were all white tablecloth.  It was a real special occasion to dine here!!!

GinnyT:
Like Top of the Hill, Lamston's was also my first real job, but it was in 1963.  I was paid $1 an hour and worked 5 days a week after school and then all day Saturday.  I was assigned to a couple of aisles to keep things stocked and neat, and to help customers find what they needed.  My areas included sewing and knitting supplies and toiletries.  It was quite a thrill at the time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version