Author Topic: Civil War Coin/Bullet Holes/Gettysburg/Hackensack Collector/JohnsonLibrary  (Read 4316 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
This is quite a story, so I'm gonna post the seller's description and an exchange he had with an eBay member.

His bad spelling alone is worth your time.

Description:

This is an amazing coin found at Gettysburg after the Civil War. The story behind the item is that there were in a collection given to the Hackensack NJ Library. They where on display for a number of years and back in the late 90s when the Library closed it's history wing all the items went up for sale. 6 Months ago I bought the house from one of the librarians of Bergenfield and found many Civil War items in a trunk.....If you saw my sales a few months ago you would have seen a Artillery shell That had written on it Cementary Hill Gettysburg battle 123 1863, and that sold for 5,611 dollers!!!!.                  .
     The Item you get is a larg copper one cent United stated coin dated 1848. The very intesting thing is that the coin has been hit by 2 small bullets, or shot. This is not a reproduction or old coin with new holes. This was at Gettysburg and was found at some point after. It has been framed and the frame painted blue and gold trim. The back of the frame has a stamp the reads MORRIS M. BERNSTEIN  30 ARCADIA ROAD HAKENSACK, NJ. The frame comes with two papers, one hand written the other typed explaining the history of the coin.

You might of seen this item a few weeks back for sale. Well it did not sell, but I got at lest 10 emails wanting it. So I am relisting it. This time the bullets are not for sale just the coin. Alsow because my name is broken sword antiques dose not meen I only sell sword....

eBay member:

Q: "You are claiming that this coin was hit by two bullets during the battle of Gettysburg? if so, what is the diameter of the bullets that hit this coin? Two randomly fired bullets hit at the same time, this close together? Mythbusters would like this one. Do you have any idea what this coin would really look like if hit by a minie ball while in someones pocket. To get this coin effect: the coin must be held against a hard surface and deliberately hit. If it was shot with anything it would have been a .22CB cap. Anything else would gone through."

Seller:

A: "First I would like to say I am not a gun, or bullet expert. I am a sword guy. Second all the items I got from the collection that I got was very respectibale and I have not had reson to question any of it. I am just retelling the story that I read off the card when I got it. I do think that this story is a little hard to beleve, and like all historical item there are alot of fake out there. Even thou I think this is a good item, and you think it may be questionable I will post your warning next to the item and let the bider makeup there minds. Thank you for opening up a smart forum for this item, and if you do bid good luck."

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

anything