Author Topic: 1966 Hackensack High School Graduation Program  (Read 11699 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
1966 Hackensack High School Graduation Program
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:58:58 AM »
Thanks again Skip!

(Click to enlarge)

Offline hhscomets_alum

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Hackensack High School Graduation Program
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:42:04 PM »
There was a dance after the graduation.  Does anyone remember what the name of the hall was? I think it was on South Main.

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
On the corner of Pink St & South Main was the S.S. of C.C. Hall. According to my Grand Father, it was built by those who Immigrated from Santa Croce, Sicily so they could gather socially, have parties & Wedding etc. They sold the building years ago & moved to the Paterson / Hawthorne area where there are / were many people & decendants from that town in Sicily.  They are still an active Society.

HHS Class of 1965 also had a Graduation Party / Dance there the previous year.

Offline Long Ago

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »
I am currently recovering from surgery and so have had a little time to go back through some of the older threads on this site.  The list of faculty from the 1965-1966 school year brings back lots of school memories from a slightly earlier time period.

Some of my HHS teachers during the late 1950s that are included on this list were Harold Bloom, Charles Emrich, Howard Fuhrmann , Mary Whelan, and of course coaches Avery and Della Torre.  I also remember my geometry teacher Mrs. Sinnegan, who is not listed here but was elderly and presumably retired before 1966.  She was probably the most enthusiastic teacher I ever had for any subject, but I confess it was hard for me to get excited about mathematical theorems and proofs.

I remember Mr. Fuhrmann very well.  He was my physics teacher, and physics was my toughest class at HHS.  He was very knowledgeable and seemed to have infinite patience explaining how to solve word problems, but he had no patience for academic dishonesty.  I distinctly remember him flunking two students when he caught them cheating during our final exam in the subject.

Miss Whelan was our instructor in biology.  She was a very pleasant person and always seemed to have a positive attitude.  I remember her having a small collection of different types of seashells on display in our classroom.  The only thing I disliked about her class is that we had to dissect a worm and a crayfish, and my biology period was right before lunch.  Yuck.  I guess things could have been worse, though.  One of my sisters once had a class in anatomy (not at HHS) and was required to dissect a cat!

I’m wondering if anyone here still remembers the teachers on this HHS listing of faculty.  If so, who?  Any stories to share?

Offline ericmartindale

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 09:13:17 PM »
Quite a few of those teachers were around into the early 1980's.

Offline Long Ago

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 01:55:06 PM »
Looking back on it now, it seems we were very fortunate to have had so many good teachers at HHS.  I know that Mr. Bloom and Mr. Fuhrmann both had long distinguished careers there.

I once had a Latin teacher at HHS named Miss Walker.  I remember her because of an incident that I thought was grossly unfair at the time, but which really taught me a valuable lesson.

One day she gave our class a pop quiz (remember those?) for which I was quite unprepared.  After some creative guessing, I left the classroom and remarked to someone that I had failed the test.  What I didn’t know was that Miss Walker had overheard my comment.

When I got my quiz back, I was surprised to find that I only got 3 answers wrong out of 10, which should have been a passing grade of 70%.  Instead, my score was shown as a failing grade of 60%.  She had actually written a 70 on my paper, then lined it out in red ink and replaced it with a 60.

Her explanation was that she gave me the grade I expected, not the one I had earned.  She said, “Always remember this.  If you expect to fail, you will.”  I never forgot the lesson.

anything