Author Topic: 1942 book by Hackensack's Jacob W. Binder signed to Col. Fairleigh Dickinson  (Read 3561 times)

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
http://www.ebay.com/itm/All-Lifetime-1942-Inscribed-Fairleigh-S-Dickinson-Man-Built-GWB-/140608887979?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item20bcf15cab

Description:

"Colonel Fairleigh S. Dickinson (August 22, 1866 – June 23, 1948) was the co-founder of Becton Dickinson and the named benefactor of Fairleigh Dickinson University.[1] Born in Beaufort, North Carolina, Dickinson died in his home in Rutherford, New Jersey, where he had moved several years after what is now BD was founded in New York City in 1897. He married Grace Bancroft Smith (1887–1973) in Rutherford, New Jersey on 20 December 1916. They had a son, Fairleigh Dickinson, Jr. (1919–1996). In 1942, he used his wealth to found Farleigh Dickinson College, which is today Fairleigh Dickinson University".-Wikipedia

One of only 500 copies, and this particular book was inscribed to the founder of Fairleigh Dickinson University. 8&3/4" x 5&3/4" maroon cloth hard cover(in pics cover looks more red), 354 pages, privatley printed, Hackensack, NJ, 1942, written by the man who constructed the George Washington Bridge,(4 chapters all about the bridge with vintage photographs) Jacob W. Binder, and inscribed by him to "Colonel" Fairleigh S. Dickinson(see above), co-founder of Becton Dickinson, and benefactor of Fairleigh Dickinson University, as luck would have it book is actually inscribed the very year Dickinson founded the university(see pic). Cover with wrinkle/bump to top right corner, endpapers with tan blemishing but no splitting, binding is good, at pages 94-95 is slight widening at seam near upper region, but holding very strong. Pages excellent and clean, no rips, or creases, no writing.

Jacob W. Binder was "the man who constructed the George Washington Bridge"? News to me.

I can find nothing online that supports that statement. He was from Hackensack and his name is on the back cover of "The Bergen County Song" sheet music (the one with the original design of the GW Bridge on the front cover), where he is listed as the Secretary-Treasurer of the Bergen County Chamber of Commerce.

I've asked the seller what in the "4 chapters all about the bridge" supports that claim and the reply was: "I googled him and got an article in 'the Rotarian', dated 1943, where he is credited for promoting the building of the George Washington Bridge. this book may be the case of someone giving themselves more credit then they deserve".

So my impression is that Mr Binder was someone who "built up" the bridge, publicity-wise, rather than someone who built it.

I wonder if he's any relation to TV's Binder & Binder ("We'll deal with the government - you have enough to worry about").

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness