Author Topic: 2013 Election  (Read 107574 times)

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Election
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
Who is candidate #9?  Is he Joseph Barreto as indicated by CFOG literature or as the ballot indicates, Joseph Barretto? Does CFOG know? Does the County Clerk know?  Is it one "t" in his last name or two?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2013, 09:07:36 AM »
162 Rider said  "I would like to support women in politics but only if they are qualified. In 2008 I so wanted to vote for a woman candidate but could not go through with it just because the candidate was a female candidate."

Are you kidding me.  In 2013, this is your voting criteria ?  Why should I listen to your advise after your post that?

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2013, 02:54:55 PM »
162 Rider, I read your comment again and I see that I completely misinterpretted it.  I got it 180 degrees backwards. If you read it again, you will see that there are two very opposite ways to interpret it.

I thought you were saying that you liked a candidate who happened to be woman, but then you couldn't go through with it BECAUSE she was a woman.  You weren't saying that at all.  I got it now.

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
162 Rider, I never suggested that you vote for someone just because she was a female.  I just said that it was interesting.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2013, 03:40:10 PM »
So a strong woman is not a team player but a strong man is a leader? So 1950's..

Offline itsmetoo

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »
iI just received an automated call from Cory Booker endorsing The Open Government ticket.  I am a Democrat but what the heck does Cory Booker have to do with a non-partisan, Hackensack municipal election?  Open Government wants to distance itself from the past 4 years of political connections. HUH!!!

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
All along they have been saying they have no connections and then they do domething that shows that they do. They keep shooting themselves in the foot. Booker has no idea about Hackensack issues. The voters in Hackensack hopefully do and will see the contradictions. The Coalition would not have had to go outside the city for support if they felt they were getting it within the city.

Offline regina

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2013, 06:35:24 PM »
This is an exchange I had with Sen Weinberg on my Facebook page. She addresses the Booker robo call and "Tea Party" claim and the fact that Hackensack elections are nonpartisan

Regina Whitehead DiPasqua
18 hours ago near Hackensack
When the residents of Hackensack were asking for help from our elected officials did Senator Menendez or Cory Booker care? Did they want to get involved then? No and No. Why are they getting involved now? How about Valerie Huttle, Gordon Johnson or Loretta Weinberg, where do they stand?
2Like ·  · Promote · Share

Loretta Weinberg I must say I was rather surprised to just learn about this. I also think that perhaps Mayor Booker was misled by some. I respect everyone 's right to run in this NONPARTISAN election and I don't really know most of the individuals on either slate. However, I do know Mr. Labrosse's record on the Council, and I think it is admirable and worthy of support by the citizens of Hackensack!
3 hours ago · Unlike · 1

Loretta Weinberg I also do not think Ms Canestrino or her running mates are "Tea Party" folk. That's a very "over the top" accusation and makes it more difficult to fight the real "Tea Party" folk on issues!
3 hours ago · Unlike · 1

Regina Whitehead DiPasqua Thank you Senator Loretta Weinberg for responding. Mayor Booker has not responded to our requests for an explanation as to his reason for the robo calls asking for support of one slate in our nonpartisan election. I admire you for listening and responding to your constituents.
2 hours ago · Like

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2013, 08:20:05 PM »
I am a former Hackensack resident who has lived in Newark since 2007.

I disdain the interference of partisan politics and especially Cory Booker in the Hackensack election.  Citizens for Open Government does not need Booker to win this election, all Booker is doing is taking a bet on who will win to have some new friends and allies after the election. Citizens for Change has their issues, but they are not tea party folks.

I know Cory Booker, I had a personal meeting with him 3 times on neighborhood issues.  He cares only about his own political career, and his stint as Mayor here is all about HIM, it's not about the people of Newark.  He is a "star" only because the ultra-left media has picked him as someone to be elevated into higher office. He is a better speaker than Obama, I must admit, and he can fool almost anyone into voting for him.  I could talk for pages and pages on how Booker has failed Newark and especially the relatively affluent Forest Hill Historic District where I live. How he took away our police resources and left us naked and exposed to the criminal element swarming in from a few blocks away, robbing homes and stealing cars. And he tried to sell off the city's precious watershed lands (32 square miles in the West Milford area)  for cash to plug a one-time budget gap.

And by the way, the black folks in Newark vote against him in droves because he has light skin, blue eyes, he supports gay marriage that the black religious folks in Newark can't stand, and he doesn't act black enough to be one of them. Booker wins a clear majority of the white, asian, Latino, and Portuguese/brazilian votes, and if he can muster 25% of the black vote, that's enough to put him over the top. Newark was 52% black in the 2010 census.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »
There is a rundown of all candidates here:

http://www.northjersey.com/hackensack/?channel=/community&lbl=Community

Don't forget to vote tomorrow!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 07:18:30 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2013, 09:21:44 PM »
Citizens for Change wins. 

Preliminary results attached.

More to come...

« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 09:28:54 PM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2013, 09:32:40 PM »
A wise old political sage once told Ol' Homer : "Always remember -- SIGNS DON'T VOTE!"
Looks like he was right.

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2013, 10:13:41 PM »
All aboard!

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2013, 10:26:38 PM »
Well, it's truly the end of an era for Hackensack, and the beginning of another.  Lots of heads are rolling, or going to roll, in the city administration.

Both slates had a strong vision for an improved downtown, and both groups strongly opposed the LTACH, so a few important things are not changing.  In the end, the split vote advocated by the Prospect Avenue Coalition didn't amount to much, and Newark Mayor Corey Booker picked the losers.  I'm laughing at Booker.

I love the city where I was born and raised, and that will never change no matter who is in power.  I truly hope that Hackensack becomes a better place. I wish the new city council the best, and I hope that they will accomplish something. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2013, 11:17:18 PM »
Opposition slate sweeps in Hackensack Council elections
Tuesday, May 14, 2013    Last updated: Tuesday May 14, 2013, 10:54 PM
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
The Record

John Labrosse was handed a broom at the Elks Lodge after it was learned that he and his four running mates in Citizens for Change swept the election on Tuesday
KEVIN R. WEXLER / STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

HACKENSACK — Voters strongly broke with the past, electing a full slate of opposition candidates for City Council on Tuesday and shutting out a slate with ties to the political establishment that governed the city for decades.

The top vote-getters for five council seats were reformist incumbent John Labrosse, David Sims, Kathleen Canestrino, Leo Battaglia and Rose Greenman, who made up the Citizens for Change ticket.

Their election sweep and the change it signaled in city government followed years of corruption allegations, civil lawsuits and the criminal conviction of the police chief.

Citizens for Change toppled the Open Government slate of Jason Nunnermacker, Joanne Mania Colon, Joseph Barreto, Kenneth Martin and Scott Young. Critics had claimed that those candidates were tied to the political machine that has run the city for two decades amid turmoil. Victor E. Sasson, of the Vote for Peace and Quiet line, also trailed in the election results.

Hackensack Council votes
John Labrosse*    2,006
David Sims    1,911
Kathleen Canestrino     1,908
Leo Battaglia    1,804
Rose Greenman    1,788
Kenneth Martin    1,651
Scott Young    1,631

Winners’ names in bold
*Denotes incumbent
Results are unofficial

Email: adely@northjersey.com