Author Topic: Main St.  (Read 144166 times)

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
Main St.
« on: December 31, 2004, 01:09:14 PM »
I just heard about Prozy's on Main St. (Clifton location will remain open) is closing after 70+ years.  There is a trend going on here with Prozy's, Lowitz, and other long time residents of Main St.  It's funny how the stores on the lower half of Main St. are closing (being replaced by 99 cent stores) and the upper half is receiving help from the city thru different organizations.  I smell a rat name Zisa for allowing this to continue without seriously helping.  If Englewood, Ridgewood and others small downtowns survive, why can't Hackensack?  Unless there is someone with a motive...like Zisa and crew.   What makes a community is stores like Prozy's and Lowitz, not 99 cents stores.  Prozy's and Lowitz offered goods that could make people visit them.  If Hackensack added some more stores like the one's found in Englewood and Ridgewood, that would give life to Main St. and breath a second life into the established stores already there.  Also, it would give Hackensack some life again as well as some pride.  Strip malls don't give a community an identity or life.  It puts more distance between the community and businesses.  I don't know the people at Cosco or Shoprite strip mall, but I know the people at Prozy's.  I'm more likely to shop at Prozy's then the other places because Prozy's knows my likes and dislikes and therefore are more helpful.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 09:53:24 PM by Editor »

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Main St.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2005, 04:08:43 AM »
The current City administration spearheaded the Special Improvement District (SID) on Main Street (from Mercer to Sears).  This City Council is responsible for its formation and works with the SID to support Main Street's growth.

The southern portion of Main Street has yet to form a SID. I'm not sure, but I  think businesses in the southern portion of Main Street were not interested in a SID program.  If someone knows anything different, I'd like to know.

The current SID is just getting started.  Once it is in full swing, many are confident that it will be successful like SID's in other towns.  Bergenfield is one example.

Hackensack doesn't "add stores", - businesses do.  The City supports local merchants and fosters the development of a SID to make Main Street more attractive for businesses.

Comparisons to "Ridgewood and Englewood" are not appropriate.  They are completely different communities with completely different economic bases.  Hackensack can have a thriving, successful Main Street, but it probably won't be like Englewood any time soon.  In the future,  new housing stock in the surrounding Main Street neighborhoods will bring more spending dollars to Main Street (as many have speculated).

I and many others are very hopeful about Main Street's continued success. City residents should be cheering it on and supporting it.   

The last poster routinely attacks the current administration, always hiding behind anonymity.  I chose to allow anonymous posting because I want frank discussion in these boards.  Some posters abuse this privilege by personally attacking others (by name) without having the courage and common decency to identify themselves.  This makes me crazy. I can only hope that readers will give less credibility to anonymous posters and make some effort to familiarize themselves with the facts.

Towards that end, I provide links to these related articles:

A cleaner day dawns

Main Street Revitalization

The Main Street Business Alliance

Hackensack MSBA Embarks on District Improvements

Stores hope festive notes will entice shoppers

Bergen County briefs

Al Dib
Editor, Hackensack Now
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 10:57:14 AM by Editor »

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
For the editor
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 07:31:49 PM »
I don't attack Zisa as much as you would like other forum readers to believe because I don't post that often to began.  There are others on the forum that do far more attacking Zisa (justifiable at times).  Since you have been name to do something for the city (can't remember now), you taken a pro Zisa position on almost every topic on the forum.  How come you're not neutral..conflict of interest now?

You are right about it's not the city's job to bring stores (businesses) to Hackensack, but it's their job to make an environment friendly enough to encourage them to come.  Now, tell me that this current adminstration has done so?  Except for strip malls on River St., Main St. has been left for dead.  Besides, I had one or two lines total on Zisa in my previous post.  My post was more about Hackensack losing an identity with the closing of community stores like Prozy's, Lowitz and so on.  What next Cowans?  I'm more concerned about the welfare of Hackensack then Zisa, but he happens to have the power to control the fate of Hackensack right now. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Main St. downfall
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2005, 09:57:22 AM »
Sayhey:

If you are "sayheywillie"  from the other message boards, you invented online "Zisa bashing"!   

http://www.nj.com/forums/hackensack/index.ssf (Post No. 4 torwards bottom of page).

As for your theory of a "conflict on interest", the fact that I allow you to say what you do about this administration, without simply deleting your post, clearly shows that I am not conflicted.  If you go back and look at my posts, you will see that I almost never take a political stand one way or the other. 

My problem with your posts is not that you dislike the administration, but that you insinuate with no basis in fact.  You speculate and make conjecture with reckless disregard for whether or not what you say is true.  But even this I can tolerate if you would at least identify yourself.  Annonymously, you have nothing to lose if you are wrong.  When you identify yourself, you become accountable.  You are not accountable.

Your statement that "Main Street has been been left for dead" is nonsense in light of the SID.  (See articles above).  What are you talking about??? 

For the record (again), the City hired me to oversee the redesign of the official website and to maintain it regularly:  http://www.hackensacknow.com/forums/index.php/topic,292.0.html .  I made this fact known when I was hired.  People know who I am, where I come from, what I do. 

WHO ARE YOU?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 10:19:06 AM by Editor »

Offline Steve

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2005, 07:46:20 PM »
Sayhey, I think you are off base this time. Think about it, over the past 6-8 years Zisa & administration has brought us Target, Costco, Musically Yours, Commerce Bank, Pep Boys & The Hackensack Shop-Rite Mall. What was the administrations "Motive" then? We currently have in development and discussions many more community enhancing projects including townhouses and more retail. There's that "Motive" again. The Fox theatre has finally been demolished and will soon be a productive use of land. This Zisa guy is just too much!!! Finally a law to help us get rid of all the illegal apartments in this town. He's up to no good again!!

I never shopped at Prozy's in the 36 years I've lived in Hackensack. And I couldn't care less that it is closing. (i hope that doesn't sound cold hearted) The owner of Prozys is in his 70's and his son is in his 50's. You really think it was gonna go on a lot longer??? I read in the article the father said something about getting an offer he couldn't refuse. God Bless Him! I never heard mention of a next generation ready to take the helm.  I don't think Zisa is to blame for the owners aging.

Redeveloping a large store like that may be exactly what's needed.

Who are you going to blame in 5 years when the SID was a complete success and Main Street is once again a place to be proud of?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2005, 09:52:53 PM »
There's plenty of hope and promise for Main Street.   The following information is an excerpt from: http://www.crcog.org/Publications/TCSP/Ch07_Fact%20Sheet_Main%20Street.pdf

The green, bolded text under "Revitalization" explains why I think the last post is off the mark.

Why Have So Many Main Street Areas Become Run Down?

Traditional Main Street areas ... have had a difficult time competing with auto-oriented commercial development in suburban areas. Strip-style commercial corridors, regional shopping malls, and big-box "power centers" are successful for many reasons. They have recognizable chain stores, large-scale shopping formats that provide a wide selection of goods, drive-through services, large movie theaters, large family restaurants, and most importantly, abundant parking and easy access for vehicles. By way of comparison, Main Street areas tend to offer unique and small-format spaces, which are generally unappealing to modern-day chain retailers, and they tend to be constrained in terms of parking and vehicular access. Most people living in the Hartford region nowadays are auto-dependent, and they tend to do their shopping in locations with the best automobile access and parking.

Why Re-invest in Main Street?

If suburban commercial sites are so successful, why should local municipality spend time and money attempting to revitalize the old town center? Many Main Street areas still have numerous businesses, residents, and employees, all of whom would directly benefit from improvements to the area. The town as a whole would benefit from the increased tax revenues from a revitalized commercial area. Most importantly, a Main Street area is usually the historical, cultural, civic and geographic center of the community, and improvements to the town center can bolster the town's pride, image, and residential property values.

From a "smart growth" perspective, town centers are "sustainable" growth centers. With higher-density development and a mix of commercial and residential uses, town centers provide a greater variety of housing types and more opportunities for walking, biking, and transit use.

Revitalization

This smart growth tool can be used in urban, suburban, and rural communities.

They are an alternative to the forces that fuel low-density suburban sprawl. A revitalized town center can attract new investment that adheres to a compact, mixed-use, pedestrian-oriented format. There has never been a better time to engage in economic revitalization efforts in historic town centers. Old Main Streets are being revitalized nationwide, and some modern retailers see old Main Street areas as the "new frontier" of retailing. Oriented to pedestrians and specialty shopping, these businesses capitalize on the character value and foot traffic of Main Street. They tap into the market that seeks an alternative to mall shopping.

What Are the Chances of Success?

Many communities have been able to turn around their traditional Main Street areas. Downtown West Hartford, which initially could not compete with the West Farms Mall, managed to renew itself through a multi-faceted revitalization program. West Hartford has been successful because it has managed to build off of the unique attributes that distinguish it from suburban commercial sites: historic architecture, a traditional "Main Street" ambiance, a safe and pleasant walking environment, and unique non-chain stores. Importantly, West Hartford Center has a unique parking scheme that makes access convenient. Similar initiatives are currently being undertaken in Windsor Center and Downtown Rockville (Town of Vernon).

« Last Edit: January 02, 2005, 09:58:40 PM by Editor »

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 09:11:23 AM »
I'm the same one, but not the only one that jumps on Zisa when he continues to let the people of Hackensack down with self-interest moves.  You remember me because I gave info that hit harder then most on the other forum such as the Trooper/Hackensack P.O. incident.  You claim I don't back up my claims, but I do because I have access to a member of Zisa's inner circle (city council-man who talks) and the trooper thing... I got it from a trooper (Hackensack guy and life long friend) who was involved on the seatbelt check part of the incident.  I've notice that you responded to me more then other on your forum even though I don't post that often.  What about others on both forums that continue to attack Zisa with more posts then I can write in a year?  Why don't you attack the "The Record" for bashing Zisa more then I do because they see a problem with him too?  Editor, the article is "great" for other downtowns because they are following that course, where as Hackensack continues to spend money on studies to "improve Hackensack".   How many more studies (with tax-payers' money) are there going to before something is really done?  All that has been done so far is band-aid measures.  During the 90s this country saw great growth on Wall St. down to mom and pop stores around the country except Hackensack's Main St.  National chain store moved in on River St. while small stores on Main St. closed only to be replaced by 99 cent stores.   That's a community life-saver if I ever saw one. (lol)  Could it be that Zisa (since 89) hasn't done more within his powers to be a bigger part of the growth during that time?  It's great the big box stores came, but what about the original stores?  There needs to be a mix of stores to help towns such as Hackensack to survive.  Also, as you posted revival of downtown increases the image, pride and value of the entire community.   I'm not here to fight you, but I'm here to be the right to the left and the up to the down because a person in power unchecked or questioned is dangerous.

As for Steve the other poster, have you ever seen a magic trick?  The hand is faster then the eye.  With all the new stores (strip malls) on River St. opening, the same amount has closed on Main St.  You might not have shopped at Prozy's, but plenty of other have and Lowitz was a quality store that plenty of people "still" found up-to-date suits and other things.  When things happened in the community, the local stores (not national chain stores) are more inclined to get involve because the outcome affects them more just as is does the rest of the citizens of Hackensack.   Big box stores on River St. pad themselves from local stuff with billions dollars profit years.  Also Steve, I know where you're coming from because of your relationship to someone in the administration, but that's not for here to explain to all.

Oh, for the editor:  I did not invent online bashing of Zisa.  It was always there just that there wasn't a way to voice it until now.  I just happen to be the first to post on the other forum about him.  Besides, I can't be bought like some on the forum. 

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 11:50:05 AM »
Who is Sayhey?

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 01:42:06 PM »
Al, lets kill this debate and move on to something else.  Besides, I like the sarcasm from you about "who is sayhey".   lol   

Offline sayhey

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 01:43:47 PM »
Also, fix the time on posts because it shows them as being a hour ahead of the actual time.

Anthony

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2005, 08:06:08 PM »
 I don't understand the obsession with Main Street.   

How many malls, stores and other Main Streets can people shop?  Why would people stop shopping in Ridgewood to come here?  Why would people stop shopping in the climate controlled Garden State Plaza to walk down Main Street on a February afternoon?

They're not going to unless an enormous amount of money and time is spent luring modern retailers who see Main Street as the "new frontier" of retailing.  If the mayor and the council and the voters (say hey that's you Willie) aren't on the same page, nothing will change.

I applaud your efforts and I'm sorry if you disagree but I don't have much faith in Main Street ever changing.  The report that the editor referenced sounds great in theory, but why is it taking the retailers so long to get here?  Why are they building in other towns on their Main Street?

There are a lot of variables involved, many of which are very complicated, some of which are controversial.  Is any of this the Mayor's fault?  C'mon man, you're just being a hater.  Main Street's downfall began in the 60's and hasn't stopped since. 

I realize many people are concerned with the idea that Main Street in Hackensack is important, therefore I have some ideas (since the housing idea wasn't so popular).

1.  Relocate the Cultural Arts Center to Main Street with parking.  It should be a location that will allow the center to seat at least 500 people.  All of those people attending would be hungry and thirsty after a show adding a need for nicer restaurants.

2.  Relocate the PAL boxing gym to Main Street and expand the gym to host amateur fights, maybe even some pro bouts.  I always thought the grocery store that opened next to Womrath's would have been perfect for that.   

3.  Sponsor more events highlighting Main Street - parades for the local sports teams on opening day, Ragamuffin parade on Halloween, Columbus Day parade (what happened there?), etc.  Small things like that develop a lot of town pride.

4.  Condemn some land, maybe near the library to build a nice park with a fountain, and benches, maybe even a statue of Chief Oratam in the middle.  Imagine a statue of the Chief in the middle of his town.

5.  Finally, let's figure out who we're targeting to shop on Main Street.  Is it the thousands of people working in the medical center and court house?  Is it the rapidly growing Hispanic community?  Is it people shopping in the malls or on other Main Streets?

The same old, same old still doesn’t work.  It’s time to be innovative and daring to have any chance at survival.

Offline Steve

• HackensackNow Regular
  • Hackensack Now Patron
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2005, 08:11:37 PM »
sayhey, please explain my relationship to someone in the administration for all to read.

I know I'm very interested in finding out what/who it is...

Offline midniteangel

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • RAINBOWWAVES
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 11:44:31 AM »
Main st was the place to be...ppl from alot of towns came to Main st, Hack to shop...the stores were the absolute best from one end to the other...what a shame it went to pot! there's nothing left except the Record stores. Woolworths was the best....i loved it so much...when it went down, so did Main st....and i loved Johns Bargain store, Whelans, Army/Navy, Modern Bakery, A & P, Reds Italian store, Peter Pans, Arnold Constable, Womwraths, The Theater Tavern, Sonnys Lunchenette, The Wagon wheel, and on and on....great memories of great stores...sniff... :-[
Honesty is like a breath of fresh air!

ericmartindale

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 11:17:18 PM »
Somebody posted that the Hackensack Cultural Arts Center should be moved to Main Street, and wondered where. I'll tell you where --- the Johnson Library.  There couldn't possibly be a better place for a cultural arts center than in the very heart of the downtown district. Arts patrons would also become patrons of restaurants and shops, and encourage Main Street to be open into the evening.

Most towns have their library either next to their high school, or otherwise in the center of town. I say convert the Johnson Library into a new and much better cultural arts center. There might even be room for the city to have its own museum in the same building.

We could use a new state-of-the-art library next to the high school. The city could condemn land for this purpose. It could be a combination library/community center, and for major events, it could use the large high school parking lots. All this costs money, of course, and at least some of it would have to be grant money, or donations from HUMC (could anyone imagine them actually donating money to the community for such a cause....lol).

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Main St.: "Exciting Times"
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 10:12:08 AM »