General Category > Photography...........the way I see it (Moderated by BLeafe)

The Holman/Waypoint project (435 Main St)

<< < (2/11) > >>

BLeafe:
12-7-18 (1-7)

12-10-18 (8-9)

12-12-18 (10-20)

9:03am - On my roof taking pictures of the Holman site from the back end

9:33am - Nixel notice comes in about Main St being closed at Maple for an hour. I know what that means.

9:34am - Back on the roof to verify activity and saw a bite taken out of the brick wall that fronts on Main - time to get out there.

9:47am - I'm on the corner of Main and Anderson by Sears shooting death and destruction (minus the death) for the next 17 minutes and then had to run down the street to shoot the 389 Main construction site and its flying steel girders.

In the last pic, you can see that the Holman sidewalk wall is now the same height as Family Dollar (brick wall, far left). As of today (12-13-18), the rest of Holman's sidewalk wall is gone. You can also see that a good chunk of the Sears parking lot is being used to sell Christmas trees, so hurry on down - it may be the last time you can buy a Christmas tree at this Sears.

Click to enlarge.

Victor E Sasson:
Do you know anything about the building? I tried to reach Holman Moving, but the company has been sold.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrXo2D3H4_f/

Editor:
http://www.hackensack.org/filestorage/6876/8403/8786/9917/435MainPFS.pdf

ericmartindale:
I notice something on the city's promotion of the project that will infuriate the future tenants of this complex. And that is: "Amenity Space that may be converted to retail". I can tell you from being a tenant leader in Newark for 10 years that this is WAY BEYOND extremely objectionable. The builder is going to have some kind of temporary amenity, perhaps a fitness center or an oversized luxurious lobby, in order to lure in all the tenants at high rent, and then as soon as the building is filled and they have great rent roll coming in, they are going to screw the tenants and remove that amenity that they treasure. And then the tenants don't get a rent reduction for the loss. It's really VERY obnoxious and objectionable for a builder to do this. The city Zoning and Planning Boards should never allow or encourage that, and in fact, the reverse should be true. Approvals for construction should REQUIRE that amenities remain. And if a builder provides security guards in the lobby, they should be required to keep them. The most tremendous tenant movement in Newark all started with amenity reduction, and it culminated with the city council being pressured to adopt the strongest rent control ordinance in the United States.

Homer Jones:
Perhaps Mr. Editor can explain why the amenity sentence was included in this promotional piece. Did the planning board incorporate this caveat with their approval?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version