Author Topic: Borgs Woods  (Read 114449 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Borgs Woods
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »

Sounds like Ms. Violet Snow lives on Teaneck Road, because only Teaneck has what she calls "The Greenway along the Hackensack River".

I can remember as a child, say around 1970, my father being amazed to see Canada Geese in Van Saun Park, in the winter.  He couldn't believe that they were living here full-time. 

And now we have deer and turkeys.  I remember when there were no turkeys in NJ, and they had to capture and release some from New England to make a population here.  And deer also were nowhere to be found except in the largest preserves of Northern New Jersey.

Good chance that geese, turkey, and red fox are the mainstay on the menu for the coyotes. Venison could be on the menu as well, in the form of a lost fawn, roadkilled deer, and maybe a mature but sickly deer.  And of course the Coyotes eat house cats.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Borgs Woods/Coyote meal
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »
Another picture of a Coyote in Borgs.  Could be the same one posted previously. 

John took the picture but wasn't sure about the meal.  Looks like a raccoon.  Yum.  Click the image to enlarge/reduce.  I left it high-resolution so you can get a close-up with some scrolling.

Absolutely wild.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 08:02:00 PM by Editor »

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 08:02:46 PM »
Nothin' says lovin' like something from the oven.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2010, 11:24:00 AM »
On second look, I'm wondering if this could be one of her pups.  Compare with:

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2010, 08:48:01 PM »

Coyote's are unlikely to bear pups in January.  Not impossible, just unlikely

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2010, 08:49:30 PM »

IMHO........I don't think there will be anymore sitings of a red fox

Great Pictures Editor

Offline BLeafe

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Bob Leafe Photography
« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »
Just saw this on the news: local coyote sighting!

It turned out to be from Teaneck.

They're everywhere!

Like music? Like photography? Step into my office: http://xrl.us/BobL - - - - - - - http://xrl.us/BobsDarkness

Offline Homer Jones

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2010, 08:42:56 AM »
 And on that same subject, police in Chatham, N.J. are warning residents not to leave food to feed them because of their potential danger, while in Greenburgh, N.Y. police are searching for a coyote who attacked a woman and her dog.

Maybe people living on streets surrounding Borg's Woods should be made aware that coyotes are not cute and cuddly playthings that people should want to domesticate by leaving food for them.

Just a thought.

Offline Chief Oratam

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2010, 05:14:50 PM »
After looking at some Pictures of a Red Fox....they have the black legs like whats in the coyotes mouth (zoom in) but the tail dosen't match up, The tail is skinny and tapers. Fox's are Fat and fluffy...

Sorry I dont know how to post pictures...But heres links to some..........  :-[

Fox Link:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=red+fox+pictures&aq=4&aqi=g-s1g9&oq=red+fox

Maybe, its a Ground Hog or a House Cat

Groundhogs come in all colors....I have a Jet Black one living near my house ....it looks like a mini Black Bear.....but his tail is much shorter then the coyotes meal....

Groundhog Link:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=groundhog+pictures&aq=0s&aqi=g-s1g-sx3g-msx3&oq=Ground+Hog+Pictures

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »

Let's see, was that Staten Island Chuck or Punxtetony Phil, poking his head out of ground a few days in advance of February 2nd. 

The poor little guy needs to be more worried about the Coyote's shadow than his own.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
John sent some more pictures:

Offline Alyssa

• View Profile
Re: BORGS WOODS
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »
I know you posted this a long time ago, and probably know the answer already, but no, they do not close the roads for people to sled down, I mean unless of course the road is closed for some other reason. But for as long as I've lived here (23 years) this hasn't happened. If it did, I guess I didn't notice it but I live next door to the old Borg house, so I think I would have.

nidniteangel i couldn't agree more, where in hackensack did or do you live, i use to live on wilson.............and use to go sledding down by the pond...........all those wacky hills....lol took us forever to get up to the top and 2 seconds to reach bottom but it was worth it every time....the good old days, not like that anymore.  :'(  hey do they still close all the roads like fairmount up by summit with cones so everyone can sled down them????

Offline Alyssa

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:41 PM »
I have seen the red fox a few times. If the fenced area you are referring to is the yard that is fenced all the way down to the trail, this is where it has been spotted by myself, my father, and many other family members and friends. My grandmother (owner of the fenced house/yard along with my Grandfather) has yet to see any of the new friends in the woods since the deer and turkeys first appeared years ago. She still thinks we're trying to play a joke on her! But how can we see them at our house, but she can't! We live next door to each other!

The real challenge at Borg's is to photograph the red fox.  They are usually seen around the central swamp, especially in early mornings, or near the fenced area east of the swamp.  And the Blue-Ribbon Award goes to whoever can photograph a 20-lb Great-Horned Owl.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2010, 07:36:56 PM »
In the early-to-mid 1970's, the city would close off the slope of Ross Ave with cones, and direct the DPW to not plow or salt the street.  This was for local kids to do sledding.   There was enough side streets reach Ross Ave, for local homeowners to park their cars on the street and walk to their houses, and those were thoroughly plowed.  Poplar and Euclid were plowed, it was only Ross that was for sledding.

There would be dozens of kids at a time, from all over the Fairmount Section, sledding on Ross Ave. I moved to Hackensack in 1973, and sledding down Ross Ave was a tradition at that time.  I can't remember when this stopped, but I'd say by 1976 or 1977 it was over, and they started plowing and salting. Most kids had wood sleds with metal rails; I think the plastic ones were something just coming out, and mostly for really young kids.  The plastic ones were slower and safer.

Also the back of the old Borg house was a popular sledding area, and even now it is occasionally used.  There was sledding down several hillside trails in the woods that have since overgrown.  Especially one that used to line up with the trail that crossed the back of the swamp area.  That was a steep drop from the wooded bluff, behind the house with the circle driveway and tulip garden. Actually that hillside was the property of that house, since sold to Bergen County to be included in the woods preserve.

anything