Author Topic: Borgs Woods  (Read 114285 times)

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Coyotes/Borgs Woods
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
Today's Record:

N.J. officials: Coyotes no greater worry for residents
Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Last updated: Wednesday June 30, 2010, 7:55 PM
BY ERIK SHILLING
The Record
STAFF WRITER

WOODCLIFF LAKE – State officials said Wednesday that despite the recent maulings by coyotes this week of two young girls in Rye, N.Y., residents in New Jersey shouldn’t be any more worried about the animals than before.

Coyotes, which are indigenous to North America, have proved resilient in suburbia, mostly feeding on rodents, dogs, and small deer, but despite their numbers, attacks on humans are rare, experts say, and attacks on two in four days even more of an oddity.

“What happened in Westchester County is a really rare exception,” said Larry Ragonese, a spokesman for the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection. “You should be more concerned about stray dogs in your neighborhood. Coyotes tend to be very secretive animals.”

Police in Bergen County haven’t reported any attacks in recent years, but the Rye incident has prompted numerous Woodcliff Lake residents to report coyote sightings to police in recent days. Police, in turn, contact the DEP, who ordinarily respond only to aggressive or rabid animals.

Ragonese declined to put a number on the state’s population of coyotes, but he said that it was at least in the “hundreds,” and coyotes have been spotted in all 21 counties throughout the state.
“You’re allowed to harass them. Just let them know they’re not welcome,” he said.

In Rye, a team of 25 police officers tried to hunt down the animal responsible for Tuesday’s attack on a 3-year-old. Professional trappers were also engaged, but several attempts at capturing or killing the animal had failed as of late Wednesday.

Citizens don’t need to take such measures, Ragonese said.

“If people are seeing them, they shouldn’t be shooting them,” he said, noting that residents should instead simply phone police. The state also tells residents to keep pets inside at night, keep potential food sources stowed away and make sure stray garbage is collected.

For those not used to dealing with coyotes, this advice may not be of much use.

Frances Walker, a Woodcliff Lake resident for 35 years, said that she saw a grey coyote in her back yard Monday morning.

“It was laying there and it was feasting on another animal,” said Walker, 81. “It was probably a woodchuck.”

That sighting, combined with the attack in Rye, had Walker in for the day Wednesday and other neighbors on her street keeping their kids indoors. She said the coyote was the first she’d ever seen in Woodcliff Lake after more than three decades living there.

“If it wasn’t for this animal, I would be outside reading a book,” Walker said. “We’re scared.”

E-mail: Shilling@northjersey.com

Offline njurbanforest

• View Profile
Re: Borgs Woods
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »
I was in Borg's Woods just a few weeks ago. While I didn't see the coyote, I did see plenty of Coyote tracts. Did see a red tail hawk looking for a meal.  ;D

http://njurbanforest.com/

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 09:41:49 AM »
please note that the following event is planned, in response to complaints about water table problems :

BORG’S WOODS TOUR AND WATER TABLE DISCUSSION: Eric Martindale will show up at the end of Byrne Street on Sunday March 13th at 2:00 PM to conduct a tour for local residents; to explain how the topography and landfilling of Brook Street has caused water table problems (explained in my 7:50 AM post today), and why the water table is higher than in Borg Swamp after a major storm. We will first walk to the southern end of the wetlands, right behind Brook St, and then we’ll look at the point of drainage. We’ll also discuss the definition of wetlands and vernal pools.

Readers of this blog, the blogsite editor, and any Hackensack, Maywood, or County officials are welcomed to attend.

I believe that the science behind the problem holds the answer, and I will simply offer an explanation of the problem. Other people who attend are welcomed to offer their views. And then people can decide on their own, after hearing everyone, what they believe. If people want to gripe and yell, that’s fine, but my goal is that discussions will proceed in a reasonable and calm manner.

And if nobody comes, I’ll enjoy my own walk in the woods.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2011, 04:13:45 PM »
NASTY MOTHER COYOTE ALERT:   Visitors to Borg's Woods need to be watchful for the nasty coyote that barks, growls, and runs in circles around you at a distance of about 50 feet.  This happened to me twice in the past 2 weeks, most recently today.  The first incident was around all the fallen trees in the SE corner.

The second incident, today, I saw another animal scampering in the tall grasses of the open swamp only 10 feet from where I was walking.  I realized it was a coyote pup, OH S***.  I immediately ran in the opposite direction.  The nasty coyote was the mother just doing what comes natural to mother animals.  This was a potentially dangerous situation for me. If it was a kid, the mother coyote may have been even more aggressive than her confrontation with an adult.

So if anyone is walking in Borg's Woods, you could easily stumble into the coyote family without knowing it, especially where there is dense ground cover.  Just be on the lookout for the coyotes.  FYI, the pup was a uniform light brown color, without any markings of an adult coyote. I ran away so quickly I didn't have the chance to look and see if there was more than one pup.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Coyotes/Borgs Woods
« Reply #79 on: July 10, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
Coyote sightings put some residents on edge
Sunday, July 10, 2011
BY MONSY ALVARADO
STAFF WRITER
The Record

Coyotes roaming Hackensack and Maywood streets have frightened residents and prompted calls to state officials to relocate the animals.

JOHN LABROSSE/SPECIAL TO THE RECORD
New Jersey officials say the state has an estimated 3,000 coyotes.

MONSY ALVARADO/STAFF
Jim Gilbert walking his two Great Danes in Hackensack. Gilbert used to walk his dogs in Borg's Woods until coyotes began following him.Residents who live near Borg's Woods nature preserve in Hackensack say they have been seeing the bushy-tailed canines regularly on the street and on private property.

"There's no certainty with these animals," said Hackensack resident Anne Picogna of Brook Street, who said that a coyote began to follow her while she was running on Summit Avenue about two months ago.

State officials only relocate coyotes when they become aggressive and will not take action in Hackensack or Maywood at this time, said Larry Hajna, spokesman for the Department of Environmental Protection. He said residents can call the state Division of Fish & Wildlife with their concerns, but that coyotes are usually not hostile.

"If they were a threat in any way, they would be relocated, but by and large, coyotes are shy and reclusive and do not pose a threat," he said.

New Jersey has an estimated 3,000 coyotes, and they have been spotted in all counties, Hajna said. Sightings have also been reported in urban areas across the country, including Manhattan in the past year.

There haven't been reports of coyotes attacking humans in New Jersey since 2007, when a boy was bitten in Middletown, but last year a coyote was reportedly responsible for biting and scratching two children in Rye, N.Y.

The state's Division of Fish & Wildlife website says the coyote was never introduced or stocked in New Jersey, but has "firmly established itself in the state through its extremely adaptable nature." Coyotes, the site says, adjust well to their surroundings and can survive on whatever food is available.

They prey on rabbits, mice, birds and other small animals, as well as young and weakened deer, according to the state website.

In Hackensack, Brook Street homeowners blame the coyotes for the declining number of skunks, wild turkeys, raccoons and squirrels scurrying in their neighborhood.

Myrna Gotrell, who moved into her house 13 years ago, said she has seen coyotes walk from her front yard to her unfenced back yard, which abuts a wooded private property. Three years ago, when the coyote sightings were first reported, she said she stopped letting her three children play in the yard.

"My concern is if [the coyotes] run out of food, what are they going to do, come attack my kids?" she said.

Hackensack resident Jim Gilbert walks his two Great Danes along Byrne Street instead of nearby Borg's Woods. He used to take them for their morning and evening strolls through the wooded area, but after running into coyotes several times these last few months, he's now opting for pavement. One time, he said, he saw four coyotes standing together.

"They are not afraid," he said. "I would walk the two dogs in there, and I'd turn around and every time I would turn around I would have at least two following me, and I yelled at them, threw rocks, threw sticks, and finally I'd get them to stop," he said.

Jo Ann Iacono has lived in the neighborhood for 30 years. She said that three years ago, one female coyote could always be seen near the woods behind her back yard. The coyote would entertain her during winter months when it would slip and slide on ice.

"She was very cute," Iacono said.

Then a male coyote came along, and they had pups.

"That was a little bit of a concern," she said.

But, she said, there is something appealing about having a coyote in her hometown.

"It's nice to be able to have something like this when you live in this metropolis," she said.

Before going out, Emily Chillino says she peers through her front and back windows to make sure coyotes aren't nearby, and she doesn't let her small dogs out in the yard. "They would be lunch for the coyotes," she said.

Chillino has called the state and local animal control numerous times in the past two years asking that officials trap and relocate the canines, to no avail. The last time she called, Chillino said she was told to place ammonia or mothballs near the coyotes' den, and even a radio or sound system. The noise is supposed to drive them away.

Maywood Police Chief David Pegg said that since the spring, police have received almost daily calls of coyote sightings. Last month, recess was moved indoors at Maywood Avenue school when a coyote was spotted near the school building, he said. And on Thursday, a police officer followed one toward woods off Briarcliff Avenue, he said.

Anyone observing a coyote that poses a threat can call New Jersey Fish and Wildlife Services at 908-735-7288. The department also has a 24-hour hotline at 1-877-WARN-DEP.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »
From the City's website:

CITY OF HACKENSACK
Department of Health
215 State Street Hackensack, N.J. 07601
Phone (201) 646-3965 Fax (201) 646-3989
www.hackensack.org
John G. Christ Health Officer & Registrar

Living With Our Wild Neighbors – Coyotes

In response to reports of coyote sightings in the Borg’s Woods - northwest area of Hackensack, the city has scheduled an educational session to address resident concerns. The educational session will feature New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Fish and Wildlife’s, Wildlife Biologist, Anthony McBride, who will provide information on the history and habits of coyotes and strategies that residents can use to prevent attracting them to their property and strategies to discourage coyotes who may stray into residential areas.

The session will be held on Tuesday, August 16, 2011 at 8:00 PM in the Hackensack Civic Center, which is located in the City Hall Complex at the rear of 215 State Street.

Offline Skipx219

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2011, 12:10:38 PM »
Perhaps the people from Maywood should also be invited...I've heard from people on the western edge of Maywood that said they are roaming their back yards.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
I didn't attend the coyote session last night but heard it went well with 40 or 50 people attending, about half from Maywood.  The rep from NJDEP was apparently knowledgable. 

From what I understand, coyotes are shy animals and will tend to keep to themselves.  Residents shouldn't feed them, obviously, or this will eliminate their fear of humans. They have a wide roaming range and will travel up to two miles from their dens.  I hear they may have dens at Staib Park.  Please report sightings here and let others know to do the same.  It would be good to know where they are.

I'm told that the last attack on a human in NJ was in 2007 and that is regarded as an anomaly.

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2011, 03:02:55 PM »
There was about 50 people there, about 30% from Maywood.  There is one den along the hillside in Borg's Woods, on county land.  Another is REPORTEDLY between Coles Brook and Lowes in the tiny wooded corner that is left after that whole area was bulldozed away.  I doubt there is more than 1 or 2 acres of woodland left along that section.  I was told where the den is by a "knowledgeable" person who lives on nearby Catalpa Ave and who sees the coyotes multiple times per week.  I will check out the site and see if there is a 2nd den.

The guy from the NJDEP Fish & Wildlife Service says that coyotes need 2000 acres of non-developed habitat.  There is only 21 or 22 acres in Borg's Woods, and only 15 of that is preserved open space.  I think they are just using Borg's Woods as a "base", and they are roaming around 2000 acres of developed suburban areas of Maywood and northern Hackensack.  Borg's Woods is considered good habitat because there are good den areas (hillside, and there is a water source (Coles Brook, and also the pond when it has water in it), and it is old forest that they instinctively prefer.

According to the graphs, about 1/4 of their food is rabbits, 1/4 carrion/roadkill, 1/4 other small mammals, and the remaining quarter is insects, birds, reptiles, amphibians, vegetable matter, etc.  The speaker says they are known to hunt down cats and small breed dogs like Malteses, Pomeranians, and Bishon's.  Residents complained that there are no longer ducks in Coles Brook, or deer, fox, and turkey in Borg's Woods.  Pet food left outside (ie. cat food) and raiding garbage cans has been known.

Residents were told to be aggressive towards coyotes at all times, to yell at them, throw things, run at them.  The idea is to have the habituated to fear humans, and to NEVER look at humans as giving them food.

THe NJDEP says residents are allowed to trap and kill coyotes from 11/15 to 3/15, by law in the state of NJ. They will not proactively kill or relocate coyotes.  Originally a western USA species, they now live in every county of NJ, and almost every city and town in those counties.

Offline Oratam_Weaping

• HackensackNow Regular
    • View Profile
    • Weap Integration in planniNG (Weaping)
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2011, 01:50:05 PM »
I think your assessment as it being a base is correct. I know where other bases are, but since I used to have a pet Wolf based in Hackensack, I am not going to turn them in. I am hoping they relocate to One Essex Street so they can "pack-up" on the homeless who camp out in the woods there.  In fact, one of the homeless den's have been rehabilitated to accommodate a coyote or two. Add a black bear or better yet an Alaskan Brown Bear.. no, wait... I could see it now... a couple homeless guys sitting on the steps across from the court house with a bear drinking colt 45 Malt liquer and smoking cigarette baring the BCCAP or State Seal brand; butts rolled up in paper from their welfare check envelopes...

What to do with the homeless who are not likely to respond to treatment, and mentally ill who cannot cope within a city environment: what we need to do is make a nice country environment where they can farm, tend to the horses, or be close to nature and contribute to the economy. Far away from the drug deals, liquer stores, and handouts,... They will feel they are part of something as they dry out and be slowlty acclaimated into society from rural New Jersey, to smaller towns and eventually landing a job in the city... the culture shock from being institutionalized and being put back intop a city environment, can rarely be handled by even the most likely candidates from any of the classes of "mental Illness" classified as such by SAMSHA. These people all need therapy in an environment that is less confusing and less challenging until such time they are ready.

Bergen County Parks Dept., Bergen Regional, and County Public Works should employ those that are serious about rehabilitaion. Community services could help these people be productive in every city in the county, and they can contribute to the tax base while beautifying Bergen county towns. Then the distribution of housing would be fair and welcomed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:24:00 PM by Oratam_Weaping »

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2011, 10:21:50 PM »

Just a quick note.  I visited the Coles Brook corridor near Catalpa Ave today and found numerous small mammal dens, but definitely no coyote den.  Then I went to Borg's and again saw the coyote in his usual location, right behind 48 Brook Street.

I have previously looked at the Paramus side of Coles Brook adjacent to Staib Park.  Same result, and even more woodchuck holes on the hillside.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: Borgs Woods/Coyotes
« Reply #86 on: September 15, 2011, 08:30:12 AM »
Coyote presence likely to stay
Last updated: Thursday September 15, 2011, 2:01 AM
BY SUSAN JOY CLARK
STAFF WRITER
Community News (Lodi Edition)

The coyotes in Maywood seem here to stay.

Maywood has coyotes in the area of the Borg's Woods.

At a public meeting on Aug. 18, Mayor Tim Eustace addressed the presence of coyotes in Maywood.

"Councilperson (Adrian) Febre, the administrator and I attended a joint meeting on coyotes in Hackensack with the Fish and Wildlife Department who came to brief us all on the coyote problem," said Eustace. "What they told us is that there's only one state in the United States presently that doesn't have a coyote problem. Coyotes are with us to stay. We've had coyotes since at least 2007. More than likely, they're not going to try and trap the coyotes. They do not kill the coyotes unless they are a threat to humans."

Eustace shared a few suggestions made by the Fish and Wildlife Department.

"I was in the area of Borg's Woods and went to 70 homes. At least 20 of those homes had cat food outside the door and cats. The main thing that the Fish and Wildlife Department told us was don't keep cats outside and don't feed feral cats, because that's part of the diet of the coyote population," said Eustace.

Eustace also said to put trash out the day it is to be picked up and to make sure it is secure.

"The other thing is coyotes are afraid of humans. If you yell, clap your hands, use air horns people use at sporting events, play loud music and be a louder presence, it will encourage the coyotes to leave," he said.

The mayor said there have been no complaints in the area of humans or pets being attacked by coyotes.

Eustace warned residents not to feed cats outdoors and to encourage their neighbors not to do so, especially in the area of the Borg's Woods.

"There is plenty of food for the coyotes in the woods and a rich assortment of squirrels and rats, and there's a lot of water in Borg's Woods. There is a giant tree root system in there that supports a population of rats, and the coyotes prefer that as a diet," he added.

E-mail: clarks@northjersey.com

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2011, 08:57:26 AM »

I guess all rodents are "rats".

There's historically been a muskrat population in the central swamp area.  They especially lived under the hollow trunks and the roots of several trees at the edge of the water.  I've been visiting Borg's Woods for decades and have NEVER seen a common rat (aka Norway Rat). I suspect that the colony has been exterminated in recent years by fox and coyote, because in the winter there are telltale bubbles under the ice. Haven't seen these in years.  Muskrats also burrow into the embankment of Coles Brook just north of Elm Ave / Stelling Ave.

I'm told that Norway Rats live on the Maywood side of Coles Brook where residents have thrown chunks of concrete to "stabilize" the embankment.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:32 AM »
Neighbors in Hackensack and Maywood argue over damming of brook
Last updated: Tuesday October 11, 2011, 8:02 AM
BY STEPHANIE AKIN
STAFF WRITER
The Record

A swampy, forested nature preserve on the Hackensack and Maywood border – a serene departure from the heavily developed areas that surround it – is becoming the focus of a decidedly agitated dispute among its neighbors.

STEVE HOCKSTEIN/SPECIAL TO THE RECORD
Adi and Kevin Madden in Hackensack at a dam built by a Borg's Woods neighbor to attract birds. They say it has caused flooding and drawn insects.

Residents on the Hackensack side of Borg's Woods claim that misguided preservationists have been repeatedly damming the brook that chortles through the 14-acre wetlands. They argue that the group is trying to increase the habitat for waterfowl and wetlands creatures but is instead creating an acrid, mosquito-infested pool that is flooding basements and encroaching on their back yards.

Meanwhile, preservationist Eric Martindale and his supporters — which include Maywood officials, a local wetlands conservation group and a Maywood resident who has been accused of sneaking into the woods to block the water flow — say the only people disrupting the water are residents. The preservationists argue residents are trying to widen the brook with shovels because they want to direct water away from their houses.

The back story
Bergen County bought the 14-acre wetlands area known as Borg's Woods in 1994. The $1.74 million purchase — from the parent company of The Record — came after years of pressure from local preservationists. The conservation group organized in response to a proposal to build condominiums on the property.

Whatever the truth about the water, the situation has muddied the rare experience of living at the edge of one of the county's most pristine places, residents said.

"It's a quality-of-life issue," said Beverly Miller, who has lived on Brook Street in Hackensack since 1999. "We bought the house because of those trees, and now we can't enjoy them."

The preserve is surrounded by some of the most densely developed land in the state – only 60 acres in the entire 4-mile radius of Hackensack were listed as open space in the city's most recent master plan, in 2001. But on a recent afternoon in the woods — technically county land and not part of either Hackensack or Maywood – the sounds were limited to cracking twigs and chirping birds.

Just a short walk, however, revealed signs of recent human disturbance: a rocky dam seemed to block the brook at the base of an area considered a seasonal pond. Beyond it, the sunlight glinted on a pool of still water slightly larger than a soccer field. Downstream, near the Maywood border, a collection of sticks and other debris seemed to clog the brook again, creating a smaller pool. The origin of those two pools, and the role of the dams and the debris in creating it, is at the heart of the dispute surrounding Borg's Woods.

Because the park is protected under the state freshwater wetlands act, any disturbance of the water without a permit can be punishable by a fine – in extreme cases as high as $25,000 a day.

Kevin and Adi Madden — a Maywood police officer and a Hackensack schoolteacher who live on the Hackensack border — say they have filmed their Maywood neighbor Bill Jerlinski building dams and throwing sticks and rocks into the stream.

The Maddens claim Jerlinski, a friend of Martindale's and a member of the Maywood Democratic Club, has used his political weight to garner support. The couple's appeals to the two men to stop were rebuffed, and Jerlinski and Martindale filed numerous harassment complaints against them, according to the Maddens.

The Maddens circulated a petition, signed by 32 residents of Brook Street, Byrne Street and other nearby roads, asking Maywood and Bergen County officials to stop the flooding.

Hackensack Councilman John Labrosse,who has lived across the street for 32 years and signed the petition, said he had seen the dams, although he had never seen anyone building them.

"I can't say it's causing all the problems," he said. "I can just say, since those dams have been there, the problems have gotten worse."

But officials declined to intervene in what they described as a dispute among neighbors, and Kevin Madden was pulled aside by his supervisor at the police station and told to stay away from Jerlinski, an encounter Maywood Mayor Tim Eustace confirmed.

Madden said they won't back down.

"This is a legal issue," he said. "We shouldn't have to petition local residents to have the law enforced. It's the law."

Jerlinski and Martindale deny building any dams — the one that was there was likely constructed by neighbors who wanted to incriminate them, Martindale said.

'Go away'

Jerlinski declined to comment for this article, beyond saying that he wanted to preserve the integrity of the woods.

"I don't want to address these people," he said. "I want them to go away."

Martindale, who no longer lives in the area, said the problem is that residents bought their houses without realizing what it meant to live next to a wetlands. He said neighbors and Bergen County Mosquito Commissioners routinely go into the woods with shovels and dredge the brook.

Martindale spent years petitioning state officials to recognize part of the area as a vernal pool — a temporary ecosystem that forms a natural habitat for several species of amphibians and other wildlife. But he said he would have no reason to build a dam.

"There is no need for a dam back there because groundwater upwells and pools there naturally," he wrote in an e-mail.

Their accounts were supported by Eustace and Hugh Carola, program director for the Hackensack Riverkeeper conservation organization. Eustace said it was impossible for water to travel uphill from Jerlinski's property and cause flooding in Hackensack.

"It's been a vernal pool for decades," Carola said. "These people [residents] would love to see it filled in and gone."

County and state officials said they have received multiple complaints from both sides, and several officials said they have asked both sides not to divert the water.

The state Department of Environmental Protection sent a letter informing residents around the park that the area is regulated. County parks officials met with Jerlinski and asked him to stop damming the water, County Landscape Architect Al Koenig said. "Our understanding is, he no longer dams it up," Koenig said.

Peter Pluchino, the director of the county mosquito patrol program, said workers periodically remove dams from the area and regularly spray the water for mosquito larvae, but the complaints are too numerous to respond every time.

"You've got two groups there, two individuals that are constantly battling," he said. "One is diverting the water into the Borg's Woods and the other is trying to drain it out. Every time one of them does something, they blame the county."

Hackensack residents, meanwhile, petitioned the City Council last week to intervene on their behalf, a request City Manager Stephen Lo Iacono said he is researching.

E-mail: akin@northjersey.com

Offline just watching

• Long-time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »

The primary conflict between Jerlinski and a Brook Street resident was in 2009, in terms of one person digging out of the water channel to drain the vernal pool, and one person throwing rocks at the point of drainage to stop the environmental damage. (For the record, the Brook Street residents refer to this as one person destroying dams and one person building dams). And the latter was the perspective taken by the newspaper reporter.  In 2010 and early 2011, the "battle" was mostly limited to a single small log being moved back and forth. And Jerlinksi was building his dam very far downstream, on his property, where the drainage stream reaches Coles Brook.

In early 2011, Martindale met and discussed the matter with a Brook Street resident, and he promised to make Jerlinski stop doing any and all activity in the drainage channel.  This was accomplished.

Since then, there have since been 6 major rainfall events, each of which was larger than any expected in a single calendar year. The approximate dates are:

- March 8, 2011
- April 16, 2011
- June 23, 2011
- August 8, 2011 (7")
- August 29, 2011 (9.5" Hurricane Irene)
- September 8, 2011 (5" remnants of Tropical Storm Lee)

During this entire time period, there were absolutely no dams or obstructions on the stream draining out of Borg Swamp. The water pooled and filled back there, naturally.  It extended all the way back to the southern end of Borg's Woods, adjacent to the Brook Street homes.

The amount of dishonesty associated with this issue is very distressing. Jerlinski has been implicated, but he has done nothing back there during any of these 6 major storms. Meanwhile instead of appreciating Martindale's help in ending the back-and-forth battle between Jerlinski and a Brook Street resident, there is nothing coming from the Brook Street crowd but personal attacks and vendetta's made against Martindale to the newspaper reporters and to local and county officials.

The dam pictured in the newspaper article evidently was built a few days before the article came out, and I have every reason to believe that it was built for the specific intent of calling in the newspaper reporter and photographer.  I say this because it was so loosely constructed at the base that water could easily pass beneath. Whoever built it wanted something that would look imposing in a photograph, but not actually raise the water level.  The ultimate goal of the Brook Street residents is not to "remove dams", it is to eliminate all standing water back there.

anything