General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Services for the homeless...

(1/49) > >>

Editor:
An article recently appeared in The Record about the City's "homeless" and Bergen CAP's plan to expand services for the "homeless" in Hackensack.

Click here to read the article: Services for the homeless are in a political minefield (Requires free registration with The Record)

The above-poll seeks your opinion with respect to Hackensack's responsibility for the "homeless" situation.  Please participate.  You must register with an email address.  Click "Register" at the top of this page. It's easy.

Thank you.

Or Click Here to Register
Note:  Polls are anonymous.  Registration is required to enforce 1 vote per person.

Editor:
[The following opinion appeared in The Record, March 28, 2004]:

Regarding, "Hackensack shelter cost criticized" (Page L-1, March 23):

I agree with Bergen County Freeholder Lou Tedesco and Hackensack Mayor Jack Zisa. We are being taxed to death.

Building a $3 million structure can tempt politicians to put the money into pockets of those with "special interests" in the project. That possibility is no secret any time a municipality of the county "builds" something. And when they talk about bonding, the average person does not consider that you eventually have to pay back the bonds down the road.

It's about time someone is thinking of the taxpayer.

Marjorie Montagna

Saddle Brook, March 23

Editor:
An interesting post turned up on the old message boards related to the topic of "homelessness".  The message is from Aaron Mighty, producer of documentary, in response to a post from "Sam the Answer Man". 

Sam wrote:

--- Quote ---We’ve all heard the old theory that the homeless are lazy people who just don’t want to work, and are actually happy being homeless. That theory has gained new credibility...,'
--- End quote ---

To read full topic thread, click here: Happy Homeless of Hackensack (post no new messages on old board)

Aaron responded:

--- Quote ---Hi all,

As the producer of “One Happy Movie” (the documentary in question here) I just wanted to comment on the homeless man depicted in The Record’s article by Jim Beckerman in case anyone might come across this post.

The man’s name was Dee Dee, and he was not sponging off of the welfare system or any other government funded/tax aided program. He actually received a check monthly from Social Security, which he had rightfully earned for working as a lawyer for some thirty years. He was also a veteran, as were a number of other homeless we interviewed.

He was homeless for one reason only. That was so he could experience freedom as he felt it was meant to be. That made him happy! If you were to see this gentleman, who was so articulate, educated and well mannered, I think we would all change our opinions on the homeless.

You can see a clip of his interview from the film here:
www.onehappymovie.com/movieclips.htm

I hope we can all spread a little happiness as he has to so many.

Best wishes,
Aaron Mighty
One Happy Movie

To learn more about the documentary please visit: www.onehappymovie.com

--- End quote ---

devil07601:
How come on one but eric Martindale is willing to say how much of a problem the homeless situation is?

Almost no one appeared to oppose the Orchard Street Application. That is wrong.

this is the biggest obstacle to revitilization of Main Street.

Kath1948:
I think Eric Martindale hit the nail right on the head! He made it quite clear that "the homeless" are not just one mass of people, but very unique people with a variety of reasons that they are homeless. There is no one simple solution to the problem, but I think Hackensack should not condemn the homeless, but try to alleviate the problem and be more compassionate about the whole thing. I also believe that Hackensack alone should not have to bear the whole burden. Since it is the county seat, all Bergen county towns should bear some of the responsibility.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version