General Category > Hackensack Discussion

Services for the homeless...

<< < (2/49) > >>

Editor:
Mr. Martindale asked me to post the following excerpt from Parade Magazine's "Ask Marilyn" segment.  A writer asks:

What's worse: neglecting responsibilities or avoiding them?  I am irresponsible.  However, I'm also homeless, broke and unemployed.  Thus, I have no rent to be late with, no money to owe taxes on and no boss to call in sick to.  I am happy as a hog in mud. - U.J. Lewis, Forth Worth Tex.

Marilyn responds:

Maybe we need a new word for you, U.J.  How about unresponsible?  It is more accurate and less derogatory.  Anyway, given your lifestyle, it's better for everyone if you don't take on duties that you are unwilling to perform or obligations that you cannot discharge.  I'm glad that you're happy, but I suggest that you work to put something away for a rainy day.  And in your case, I mean that literally.

Editor:
"Bergen County could have a new homeless shelter by the end of 2006, county officials said Wednesday.

The proposed two-story L-shaped shelter at River and East Kansas streets in Hackensack would house as many as 100 people, cost nearly $5.8 million and lead to the closure of a shelter on Orchard Street in the city."

Read full story:  Bergen shifts into high gear on plans for homeless shelter

Editor:
The Freeholders passed a resolution tonight authorizing the expenditure of $400k for an architectural firm to review/design plans for the homeless shelter on Kansas Street. 

Editor:
Latest story: County to build $6.2M homeless shelter

Editor:
This opinion appeared in the July 6 edition of The Record:

Kudos to the Bergen County government for recognizing that there is a homeless problem in the county and for its apparent successful negotiations with Hackensack for a new, multiservice shelter ("County to build $6.2M homeless shelter," Page L-1, June 24).

However, I take exception to homeless advocate Robin Reilly's remarks regarding putting the burden on Hackensack while "those [northern Bergen] towns" do nothing.

Hackensack is, after all, the county seat. Although many county service facilities are located in Paramus, it makes good sense that services be centrally located for equal access by all county residents. Would Reilly propose that a shelter for the homeless be located in Upper Saddle River, a town that is nearly inaccessible, if at all, via mass transportation?

Deborah Greene

Fort Lee, June 2

My response:  Sure, Hackensack is the County Seat.  Yes, it does make sense to have some county facilities here.  Does this mean that Hackensack residents should carry a disproportionate property tax burden?  Absolutely not. 

The County should provide rebates for Hackensack property tax payers (and Paramus for that matter). There is no reason why Saddle River, Mahwah, Ridgewood and other affluent Bergen communities should benefit from a lack of County facilities in their neighborhoods.  These communities should help carry the financial burden in a way that is fair and equitable.  After all, these wealthier towns are in a position to do so.  Why should Hackensack (mostly middle class) be penalized for seating the County?

Albert Dib

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version