Author Topic: County-wide school regionalization  (Read 3916 times)

ericmartindale

County-wide school regionalization
« on: September 04, 2006, 07:41:13 AM »
I decided to make County-wide school regionalization a separate “topic” from “Other towns merging with Hackensack”, which focusses on municipal regionalization.  Each is really two different issues.

I keep reading about officials wanting to have only 21 school districts in New Jersey, one for each of the 21 counties. This is being considered on a statewide basis to reduce local property taxes.

Under this plan, Bergen County would have one County-wide Board of Education, and one Superintendant of Schools for the entire County.  Presumably, the County Board of Education would also set curriculum and budgets. Unsure if they would control all hiring and firing.  I am uncertain if the existing elementary school districts and high school districts would remain the same, but presumably the County would have control over that as well.  Some level of local authority would have to remain at each high school, I imagine, but with a greatly reduced size and level of control.

Since this is a matter of public policy under debate on the state level, and it certainly affects Hackensack, this website might as well have it as a “topic”. 

Would this help equalize the differences between the quality of education in Hackensack versus northern Bergen County towns, or would the difference widen? Some say there is nepotism and cronyism in Hackensack, if so, would this end it or make it worse? Would being in the same school district as northern Bergen County have a positive or negative effect on real estate in Hackensack?  Is this good for Hackensack or not?

I’m not going to offer my opinion, since I’m still thinking about it.  What do the readers think?

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
Re: County-wide school regionalization
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 09:47:45 AM »
Latest story:  Jerseyans: Reform school funding

New Jerseyans tired of paying the nation's highest property taxes have a message for state lawmakers: Please change the way the state funds its public schools.

Lawmakers created a Web site to solicit suggestions on how the state can ease the property tax burden. The site has received more than 1,000 suggestions since it was created Aug. 14.

A common theme from the suggestion box: New Jersey residents are tired of paying high property taxes to fund public schools.

Offline Editor

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Hackensack Now
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:26:14 AM »

ericmartindale

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 03:47:33 PM »
Another article on this topic appeared on page A-1 of the Record on Thursday 11/2/2006, entitled "Consolidation raises fears of loss of identity". 

Evidently there was a public hearing on the matter at Bergen Community College in Paramus on Wednesday evening 11/1, which was very poorly advertised.  Those of us following the issue on this website lost our opportunity to attend.

Joseph Coppola of the Bergen County Education Associated came out in very strong worded opposition against the concept, saying that larger-scale operations are more difficult to manage.

There's a big push statewide to consolidate all local school districts on the County level. If this happened, there would only be 21 school districts in NJ, one per County.  Under the plan, Bergen County would only have one Superintendant of Schools, instead of 69 or 70.  (I guess there would be some sort of Vice-Assistant position on the local level, but paid much less).  There would still be local school boards, but they would be advisory. Instead the County Board of Education would control everything.

According to the Record article, many residents spoke against the concept, fearing "loss of local identity" for the schools, and a reduction in the level of service.

I would imagine that the highest-performing schools would be the most opposed to the concept, much as Tenafly was so massively opposed to Englewood's litigation 10 years ago attemtping to force regionalization of Tenafly, Englewood, and Englewood Cliffs.

Governor  Corzine wants each County Superintendant to be a gubernatorial appointment.  Hmmm, that gives Corzine more power. I say why not have this position ELECTED. Is it really in the best interest of the public good for the County Superintendants to be so indebted to the Governor, no matter what political party holds the position of Governor.  What possible advantage is there to having it a gubernatorial appointment, other than to increase the power for whatever Governor is in power.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 10:25:45 AM by Editor »